How do I make AT3 (atrac3 codec) based WAV files?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Videogamer555

How do I make AT3 (atrac3 codec) based WAV files?

Post by Videogamer555 »

I followed the tutorial at http://forums.qj.net/guides-psp-mods-me ... files.html which says how to make it work using 3rd party AT3 codec for Windows (enables Windows media player to play AT3 encoded audio). It's a file format of audio used by the Sony PSP. Unfortunately this tutorial assumed that Goldwave can autodetect the currently installed codecs on a computer. But it can't (at least not the current version, maybe the feature was removed?). Currently Goldwave can only use a set of predefined codecs, of which atrac3 is NOT one of them. Please help me get this to work. Thanks in advance.
Gord

Re: How do I make AT3 (atrac3 codec) based WAV files?

Post by Gord »

Did you try the suggestions here?

http://goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3056
Videogamer555

Post by Videogamer555 »

Thanks for the idea but it didn't work. I installed the decoder on my computer. I copied the acm file to the files directory in the Goldwave program directory. I tried renaming the extension to DLL, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING I've tried works. Does the latest version of Goldwave have this codec intentionally blocked or blacklisted or something? Did Sony complain to you about it being proprietary and force you to blacklist this plugin in your program?
Videogamer555

Post by Videogamer555 »

I see what's wrong with the tutorial. It must be put in the "Goldwave" folder and NOT in the "Goldwave\file" folder.
dronelebeau

Post by dronelebeau »

thanks Videogamer555. I kept going back at the tutorial and could not figure out what's wrong. Now that's why. :|
Stewerdess: Do you need help fastening your seatbelt?
Gambit: Need... or want?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Videogamer555 wrote: It's a file format of audio used by the Sony PSP.
I've owned a PSP and various MD players that support ATRAC3, and I will tell you this.

Unless the software has changed in the last couple of years....you cannot use outside sourced AT3 files in these units. I was able to interface an encoder with dbPowerAmp about 7 years ago...encoded a bunch of files...could not get them to load up to the PSP or even an MD player.

I'm just telling you so you don't spend hours doing all this work, only to find out it was for nothing. AGain, maybe the software has changed in recent years, but, last I knew, there was nothing you could really do to get these "other" encoded files in to a unit....there's no real reason to use this format on a PC as other formats (like OGG, M4A) have more compatibility and better quality.