GoldWave v5.63 Beta

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: GoldWave v5.63 Beta

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave now creates a new file if you click the Record button. Could that be the source of the second window? If not, is there a set of steps that always causes the second window to appear? Also try turning off the "Create new file" setting (press F11, Record tab).

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Thanks Chris -

I'll play around some more and see if I can pin it down. I believe that it occurs when I click the Record button. But, it seems as though there were other things associated with it.

Okay... I just opened the Record tab and deselected "Create New File". Is that something new? I don't recall seeing that before.

After making that change, I opened an existing file (something already recorded). When I selected the file and opened it, I got the file I wanted but also another new (as yet unrecorded) file.

Also -- in the Silence Reduction tool, in the Presets, there is now a selection "Eliminate All Silences". Is that new? I thought it was not possible to select a time less than some other amount in the past. Thank you for that feature — I find it to be very handy at times!
packzap

Post by packzap »

Help! I cannot uninstall 5.63 in WIndows XP (SP3). I went to control panel, add/remove programs, selected Goldwave v5.63, clicked "change/remove" then get the error, "Uninstall, a file error occurred while trying to uninstall the program".

I want to get back to the non-beta version as I'm not comfortable using this beta with some of the problems and differences popping up (described in earlier posts). Thanks for any suggestions. Maybe steps on how to manually uninstall.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

donrandall,
Are you opening the file using File | Open in GoldWave, or are you opening the file through Windows Explorer (or command line)? No new files are being created in my tests.

packzap,
Make sure GoldWave isn't running when trying to uninstall it. You can try restarting your computer just before uninstalling GoldWave. Or you can just install the older version of GoldWave over the beta version without uninstalling. However you should report any problems you are having with the beta version because it will be the next release version. If there's something you don't like, now would be the best time to say something.

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Are you opening the file using File | Open in GoldWave, or are you opening the file through Windows Explorer (or command line)? No new files are being created in my tests.
If it is an existing file, I open the file in Goldwave. I have used the Windows explorer on rare occasions, but not recently. I don't even know what a "command line" is, so I don't believe there is much chance that I've ever done that.

I just opened Goldwave and tried to get it to happen so I could watch carefully. As you have probably guessed by now, I can't get it to do it when I want it to!

Maybe it's like going to the dentist. Once ya get there, the tooth magically stops aching!

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it does it again and, of course, bother you again if it does.
packzap

Post by packzap »

I like the bigger toolbar buttons with this beta and general operation.

What I don't like is: when selecting "new" file for 30 minutes, you then see the 30 minute window appear, then upon clicking the "record" button, Goldwave immediately loads an additional 10 minute window and starts recording in that one, rather than the 30 minute window I originally specified. I have to then stop recording, close the 10 minute window, go to the 30 minute window and start recording again. OS is Windows XP (sp3).

Thanks for the uninstall suggestions. I will try again when I have time. Kind regards.
Gord

Post by Gord »

packzap wrote:then upon clicking the "record" button, Goldwave immediately loads an additional 10 minute window and starts recording in that one
In Control Properties (F11), click the "Record" tab and see if the "Create new file" option is checked. If it is, try clearing the checkbox and see if that resolves the issue.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

In Control Properties (F11), click the "Record" tab and see if the "Create new file" option is checked. If it is, try clearing the checkbox and see if that resolves the issue.
Gord - I think that has resolved the issue for me. At first, the problem persisted. But, after a day or so, it went away. It didn't make sense to me at first, but upon thinking about it, I believe that when I first made the change you suggest above, I did not shut down and restart my computer. But, something else required a shutdown and restart. Ever since the restart, the problem has not reoccurred.
packzap

Post by packzap »

OK, that did the trick in preventing the second window opening. Thank-you!

However, there does seem to be a problem with the uninstaller for this beta. I rebooted and again tried to uninstall thru Control panel, Add/Remove programs, choosing Goldwave 5.63 and got the message, "Uninstall, a file error occurred while trying to uninstall the program".

I then reinstalled version 5.58 over 5.63, rebooted and checked that it worked correctly. Then went to Add/Remove programs and saw both ver 5.58 and 5.63 listed. I tried taking out 5.63 and it said program is not installed and it removed that entry. Then, I tried to uninstall 5.58. After doing stuff for a few moments it said "couldn't remove all registry entries" and I clicked OK.

Then, horror of all horrors, all icons on the desktop and toolbar lost their image and had a .lnk extension. No executable programs worked. I rebooted and the problem persisted. I had to reboot once again, invoke "Safe Mode" and then "System Restore" and told it to roll back to yesterday, to restore the system back to normal.

This anomaly happened when I initially installed 5.63 a few days ago and tried to remove it, which leads me to the conclusion that 5.63 does not have a clean uninstall process with Windows XP.

Since running System Restore, I'm back to version 5.63 of Goldwave and will keep running it because the "record additional window" problem has been solved (1st paragraph above). Nevertheless, I feel uncomfortable not being able to uninstall Goldwave without it trashing my system.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Something must have corrupted the uninstall log file. Are you using a non-latin character set in Windows? Could you send a copy of your "unstall.log" file located in the "Program Files\GoldWave" folder. It's a text file, so you can copy and paste it.

I'd recommend that all other testers open that file and look for lines beginning with "sxRegistry=" and report anything unusual.

Chris
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Chris:

When using 5.63 in DirectSound with my USB audio device (M-Audio Transit in 96/24 mode)...during recording I get Access Violations. I don't remember the specific address and Core/WSAPI still fails to open it.
packzap

Post by packzap »

Goldwave Inc. wrote:Could you send a copy of your "unstall.log" file located in the "Program Files\GoldWave" folder.
Hi Chris, I checked Program files\Goldwave directory and there is no file named unstall.log. What I have are:

goldwave.exe, 5584kb
gwpreset.reg, 51kb
gwspeed.dll, 1238kb
unstall.exe, 178kb; all four dated 6/14/2011, 5:59 am.
Plus three folders: Effect, Figures and File. And that's it.

I'm using whatever the standard default character set for XP is in the United States (English).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

packzap,
There should be more files in the GoldWave folder (help, readme, whatnews files, etc.), so you don't have a full/correct installation. Did you download the program (gwave563.exe) from the GoldWave website?

DewDude420,
What information do you get from the Information button on the System tab in GoldWave? There have been problems with M-Audio in the past.

Chris
packzap

Post by packzap »

Chris wrote:There should be more files in the GoldWave folder (help, readme, whatnews files, etc.), so you don't have a full/correct installation. Did you download the program (gwave563.exe) from the GoldWave website?
Yes, downloaded it straight from goldwave.com/beta.php on July 28th. The file size is 5,394kb.
packzap

Post by packzap »

Since, I don't have a correctly functioning uninstaller, how do I uninstall Goldwave manually? Thank-you.