GoldWave v5.63 Beta

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

GoldWave v5.63 Beta

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Please post any comments or issues with v5.63 here.

Chris
Gord

Core Audio/WASAPI support for >16 bit recording

Post by Gord »

While poking around in the System tab of Control Properties [F11] under v5.63 Beta I noticed one curious item:

When "Core Audio/WASAPI" is selected I have "PCM 24bit" available as an option for "Record" on the Device tab, but when I click the "Test" button the status says "Device opened with different settings. Rate: 44100Hz, Channels: 2, Bits: 16". The Information button on the System tab shows that my sound card can only do 16-bit.

When I switch back to "DirectSound API" and do the same test I get "Rate: 44100Hz, Channels: 2, Bits: 24". The Information button on the System tab shows that my sound card supports 16, 24, and 32 bits.

So, it looks like my sound card can do 24-bit, but the Core Audio/WASAPI drivers for it (or perhaps the Core Audio/WASAPI support under 64-bit Vista) won't let me. Perhaps not a GoldWave issue per se, but I thought I'd report it anyway.
DewDude420

Re: GoldWave v5.63 Beta

Post by DewDude420 »

I *believe* WSAPI uses settings in the control panel for each device to set it's default format....Goldwave's setting might not have any bearing on what it does.

go to recording devices, right click your device, select properties and click the advanced tab. see what the default format there is set to and see if changing it changes what Goldwave tells ya.
Gord

Post by Gord »

DewDude420 wrote:go to recording devices, right click your device, select properties and click the advanced tab. see what the default format there is set to and see if changing it changes what Goldwave tells ya.
Thanks, Jay. The advanced settings I see for "Line In" on the Windows control panel are:

Code: Select all

Default Format

Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in shared mode.

2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)
2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)
2 channel, 16 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality)
2 channel, 16 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)
As the description says, that seems to affect the parameters used when "Quality" is set to "Shared" in GoldWave. If GoldWave's "Quality" setting is set to a specific value like "PCM 24bit" (implying exclusive mode, I'm guessing) then the setting gets forced back to 16-bit under WASAPI because, according to WASAPI, 16-bit is my only option for bit depth.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

right.

you get "24-bit" under DirectSound because Directsound...and standard mme resample invalid audio formats. So if your device requested 24-bit from DirectSound, but didn't support 24-bit, Directsound would pad it out to 24-bit to satisfy your program. Some programs..like older ones....they used fixed rates and if they weren't fed a valid rate, they'd get irate (hehehehehe).

WSAPI/CORE changed a LOT of things. the damn thing still resamples when it has to. If I'm using my M-Audio Transit in Windows 7 and NOT using ASIO.....then windows will upsample it to 24-bit/88.2 - 96 khz. However, that card behavior under Win 7 is not the same as it was under XP and therefore...becuase I'm pretty sure if I disabled inputs on the device...it supported EVERY format from 44 to 96khz at 16 and 24-bit...as it is I can have 88.2-96/24 or 44.1/48/24 - but not both.

M-Audio really screwed up and got lazy on the 64-bit drivers. But this is actually a WSAPI/Core issue. Don't worry, I'm not going to fault you because it took me about a day to figure out what it might be.
Yelnoc4

Post by Yelnoc4 »

My head hurts after testing a cassette deck connected via USB/Microphone...

Often times I get "cannot open device, either the given rate..." under WASAPI. I'm trying to use WASAPI because it appears easier to control volume (don't have to switch tabs, unlike DirectSound -- which I have been using) and I thought I would help beta test.

If I switch to "shared" quality under "test device", it works nicely, although... It shows Rate: 44100, Channels: 1, Bits 32. My default settings under Recording Devices -> Advance is "1 channel, 16 bit, 44100". Note the 16 bit vs. GWs 32.

If I then try to record under "shared", it records, but the playback would make for very good alien-speak on a sci-fi show.

If I try to switch to "PCM 16" and record, I get "Cannot start recording. Choose the Help...", even though the file type is "wave PCM signed 16 bit, mono.".

Any thoughts?

-rob
clcweb

Post by clcweb »

When used the new defaults, it used the new audio thing.
This stopped me from using the 'normal' method, of new file, inputting the information into the fields.
It just made me click record, and then open a new file, and immediatley record.
Is there a way around it, so that by using the new audio thing, you can open a new file and record thereafter?

After changing the audio input to the old directx method all was ok.

Using Windows 7 *86

Thanks.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you don't need GoldWave to create a new file when recording starts, press F11, choose the Record tab, and uncheck the "Create new file" box.

Yelnoc4,
When using "Shared" quality, Windows always uses 32 bit internally. The default settings you see under Recording Devices are what the hardware uses. If you create a stereo file for recording, does that record and play cleanly?

Chris
Gord

Post by Gord »

DewDude420 wrote:you get "24-bit" under DirectSound because Directsound...and standard mme resample invalid audio formats. So if your device requested 24-bit from DirectSound, but didn't support 24-bit, Directsound would pad it out to 24-bit to satisfy your program.
Okay, thanks (again!). I assumed that WASAPI was lying to me but now it looks like DirectSound was. When I go into the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" the only options I see are 16-bit. My tentative conclusion is that I have a 16-bit adapter and DirectSound was trying to make me happy by telling me that it could do 24-bit when really it couldn't.
clcweb

Post by clcweb »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you don't need GoldWave to create a new file when recording starts, press F11, choose the Record tab, and uncheck the "Create new file" box.

Chris
Hi Chris, thanks for the info. I'll give it another try when back on the pc that has it installed.
When I did try that on Sunday it came up with an error and said something on the line that the device could not be started.
Like I say, will try it again nearer the weekend. Will update accordingly. Thanks.
Yelnoc4

Post by Yelnoc4 »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:When using "Shared" quality, Windows always uses 32 bit internally. The default settings you see under Recording Devices are what the hardware uses. If you create a stereo file for recording, does that record and play cleanly?
If I create a stereo file and and switch the device default to stereo, it works. But wait... I switched the file to mono, and it still worked. I switched the device default back to mono and the alien voice came back. So, it would appear that setting the device to mono is a bad thing.

One other thing of note: Yesterday I was having difficulty just getting started with my testing. After I disabled the "USB Audio CODEC" under "playback devices," I had much better luck. I thought I would throw that out there because I don't really understand why it helped, but it did. I figured that since I'm not using that connection as a playback device, it should not be listed as one.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

I switched the device default back to mono and the alien voice came back. So, it would appear that setting the device to mono is a bad thing.
This sounds like a mono/stereo bug. Usually left and right channel data is interlaced with each other...you have a sample of left, sample of right, sample of left, sample of right....at least it does that with WAV.

if it's an alien-like because of a speed change...it's because the device is being fed mono or stereo audio when it's expecting the opposite. This causes more or less samples to be fed to the device which plays them back at the sampling rate...a mono file played as stereo doubles in speed...a stereo file played as mono (both in the buggy manner I speak of, normally it's downmixed) will be half speed.

I encounter this myself...I usually figure out the right way of initializing it rather than trying to fix the problem.
Yelnoc4

Post by Yelnoc4 »

One thing I noticed today is that Win 7 (Wasapi) wants to set my device default at 48000 hz. GW doesn't want to record that as my file is set at 44100. I think this might have been an issue before, but I didn't notice the 48000 before I started making various changes and I eventually stumbled on something that worked.

Should I have to be changing my Device Default under Properties -> Advanced or do Windows or GW have ways of automatically doing that? I also uncheck "allow applications to take exclusive control" as I seem to have better luck with that.

The "Alien-sound" has not returned :twisted: , and it wasn't just a speed change.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave should support the default rate for Shared mode and all other rates/resolutions listed under the Information button (not Shared).

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I finally decided to go ahead and make the transition to 5.63.

A strange thing happens from time to time. When I open a new stereo sound window, at times I get two stereo sound windows. If I open and get only the one stereo sound window, but then have reason to stop and check my email or open another program for a few minutes, when I come back to Goldwave, there will be a second sound window opened. Both instances will be open simultaneously, one above the other and somewhat squeezed together.

For a minute there, the first time I saw it do that, it looked like Goldwave had become a four track recording program!