Record in one track, play in another track simultaneously

GoldWave general discussions and community help
rickdlol

Record in one track, play in another track simultaneously

Post by rickdlol »

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search but thread titles seem very uninformative most of the time :P

Problem:
I have an audio track. I want to record audio on top of this and mix it in.
Getting the timing just right is a nightmare, ideally I want to have the two tracks start their respective functions at the exact time so I don't have to worry about changing numbers in the Mix options and constantly previewing the track, which takes a long time in this particular case.

Is this possible in Goldwave? Is there a flawless solution to the problem?

Thanks in advance!
donrandall

Re: Record in one track, play in another track simultaneousl

Post by donrandall »

It occurs to me that you are not giving enough information about what you are trying to do. Someone here may have done, or tried to do, whatever it is that you are hoping to do. But, without more specific information, how can anyone be sure?
rickdlol

Post by rickdlol »

i thought i was pretty clear - i want to begin recording in one file, and begin playback in another file at precisely the same time.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Folks needing a bit of help from those of us that have some experience with Goldwave are usually able to find someone eager and happy to help. We tend to enjoy it. However it isn't as enjoyable when we are challenged to come up with useful information for someone who doesn't give us enough useful information with which to work.

Sorry I am unable to be of service.
piano nick

Post by piano nick »

I'm not aware of a method in Goldwave wherein a second track can be recorded into a previously recorded track while playing the first. I'm sure that the new track being recorded will wipe out the first one.

However, I quite often mix two prerecorded tracks. With both tracks loaded and on the screen, COPY one of the tracks, and then use the MIX button; the second track will be mixed with the first. The level of the second track can be adjusted using trial and error.

There are two tricky parts:

1) getting the tempo of both tracks identical. Since I use Pianoteq to create two wave files from one midi file (the midi file has two tracks, one for piano, one for vibes or bass); this ensures the tempos will match.

2) getting the files synchronized (to start at the same time). I insert a very short loud note in both tracks of the midi file (this occurs and dies out well before the real music starts). Then when the wave files are ready to mix, there is a well defined point that can be used to align both wave files in time by zooming in and using the CUT and/or INSERT TIME features of Goldwave.

Nick
rickdlol

Post by rickdlol »

thanks nick, that's a great idea with the loud note. i will give that a shot.

just to clarify even further:

i have a song already recorded. it exists and is loaded into goldwave.
i click file->new and now i have two files open. one is the pre-recorded file with audio, the other is a completely empty file.
i want to listen to the file with the audio, the song, and at the same time lay down some guitar onto the empty file.
the ideal solution would be to have one file play, and one file record, at exactly the same time.

any solution to this problem would be much appreciated. sorry, i thought i made myself very clear in my first post and the thread title, i also presume this would be something a lot of people would have had experience overcoming as it seems like such a common operation to perform when dealing with audio.
if people use any other software to accomplish this then please let me know.

thanks, and cheer up don.
Gord

Post by Gord »

What you describe is indeed a common task, but GoldWave may not be the best tool to accomplish it. GoldWave is an excellent digital audio editor but it sounds like you need a multitrack recording application.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

thanks, and cheer up don.
Now that we have, at long last, managed to get some idea of just what you are trying to accomplish, you may get a workable idea from someone.

Be sure to keep the original of your files and work from copies. Ignore that advice if you prefer the joy of discovering things for yourself.

Perhaps you could open your file in another player. Monitor it through headphones. Set up a mic, set your levels, record your guitar track. Once you have that, you can open your original track in Goldwave and mix your guitar track.

It will probably require a bit of trial and error to get the level matches where they sound right. It will probably take a bit of trial and effort to get the timing precisely coordinated, but as long as you haven't yet saved the mix, you can "Undo" it and try again.

It's much easier to come up with suggestions when we know what you are trying to accomplish.