Unable to even out Sound Levels

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coriolanus

Unable to even out Sound Levels

Post by Coriolanus »

I have an MP3 Audio File. It is Mono. The volume of the sound goes from normal to too soft ( almost a whisper in normal narrative).

If I use Maximize - I sill thave an uneven volume with voice that should be of the same level being too soft. although the soft parts are louder due to maximize, but the voice volume is still uneven.

I have tried using Compressor/Expander Preset BOOST QUIET PARTS and that does help some but then I get a noise and I have to remove that and then run Maximize. At that point I have over processed and the voice starts to sound artificial and hollow.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this problem to even out the sound level so it sounds normal not the up and down of normal voice vs too soft.

Thanks.
donrandall

Re: Unable to even out Sound Levels

Post by donrandall »

Goldwave has a wonderful tool built in that just may do the job. It's called "Autogain" and it works very, very well. Make a copy of the file you need to improve and put the original away. Open the copy and try the Autogain tool using the preselected settings and see what happens. You may not have to experiment any further, you just may get the results you need that easily. Then again, you might have to experiment a bit.
Coriolanus

Re: Unable to even out Sound Levels

Post by Coriolanus »

Thanks - that did the trick. NOw to figure out all the parameters :D