Volume normalization with Goldwave possible?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mr5973

Volume normalization with Goldwave possible?

Post by mr5973 »

Hello,

is it possible to normalize the volumen of songs with Goldwave?
I want to have to same volume in a file with about 100 mp3-songs.

Is there a possibility that you can find out the average volume of all these songs and ajdust the volume of the songs according to it (making the quiet songs louder and the loud songs more quiet)?
DougDbug

Re: Volume normalization with Goldwave possible?

Post by DougDbug »

FYI - The term "normalization" has a couple of different meanings. Sometimes people mean "match volume", but the most common meaning is what GoldWave calls "Maximize". Typically when you normalize a file, you are adjusting the volume so that the peak is 0dB (basically 100%, or the digital maximum). Most digital files are already normalized/maximized, but that doesn't mean they all sound equally loud.
Is it possible to normalize the volume of songs with Goldwave?
I want to have to same volume in a file with about 100 mp3-songs.
Yes, but there are a couple of complications -

First, the perception of loudness depends on the average volume and the frequency content. But since most files already have normalized (maximized) peaks, so you cannot increase the volume without potentially clipping (distorting). This means you generally have to reduce the loud-sounding files rather than boosting the quiet sounding files. If you match 100 files without clipping, most files will have to be reduced in volume.

You can use dynamic compression (GoldWave's Compressor/Expander) to boost the average level without boosting/distorting the peaks, but it changes the character of the sound. (I don't generally recommend dynamic compression, but we can discuss it later if you wish.)

OK... The best solution is MP3Gain or ReplayGain. Both of these use the same basic algorithm. They analyze the loudness based on the average level and the frequency content.

The difference is that MP3Gain adjusts the actual MP3 file, and ReplayGain is built-into your player software (i.e. Winamp) and it doesn't change the volume in the file, it adjusts the volume at playback-time. Both of these work without de-compressing/re-compressing the MP3 file (a good thing).

----------------------
GoldWave:

FYI - If you edit an MP3 with GoldWave (or any other "regular" audio editor), the MP3 has to be decompressed first. This means a 2nd lossy-compression step when you re-save as MP3 and potential loss of quality.

GoldWave has a Match Volume tool. It matches the average level, but unlike MP3Gain, it doesn't look at frequency content. You can use the defaut value (-18dB RMS), but the best approach is -
1. Maximize all of your files.
2. Choose the file with the lowest average as your reference. (You'll have to run Match Volume to read the current average, and then cancel before actually changing the volume.)
3. Reduce all of the files with Match Volumeto match your reference average.
mr5973

Post by mr5973 »

DougDbug wrote:GoldWave has a Match Volume tool. It matches the average level, but unlike MP3Gain, it doesn't look at frequency content. You can use the defaut value (-18dB RMS), but the best approach is -
1. Maximize all of your files.
2. Choose the file with the lowest average as your reference. (You'll have to run Match Volume to read the current average, and then cancel before actually changing the volume.)
3. Reduce all of the files with Match Volumeto match your reference average.
thank you very much for your very detailed answer.
i guess i will try this 3 steps - i only have one further question: how do i maximize all 100 files? do i have to open them one after another or is there a way to maximize them all in one go? if yes, how? can i open 100 files at once?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Are you sure you don't want to try MP3Gain? It works "open loop"... It tries to match a preset target level*, so you don't have to scan all of the files 1st, and you don't have to worry about everything changing if you add one or two files. The downside of this is that some files won't be perfectly matched if you choose the "prevent clipping" option. (Of course it rarely sounds perfect anyway...
i only have one further question: how do i maximize all 100 files? do i have to open them one after another or is there a way to maximize them all in one go?
You can try Batch Processing. I've never used it, so you'll have to look it up in the user manual, or maybe someone else can help.

I think you'll have to manually open each file in order to check the average level to find your (reference), but you might be able to run the Maximize and Match operations automatically... But I'm not sure.

* You can do the same thing with Match Volume if you wish, leaving the target average at the default value of -18dB. This means you can skip steps 1 & 2, and you can probably automate the process.
mr5973

Post by mr5973 »

i already tried mp3gain and as i was not satisfied with the result, i'm looking for alternatives.
i will try all your suggestions, i hope i get better results.

thank you again for your answer.
Yelnoc4

Post by Yelnoc4 »

File -> Batch Processing is fairly intuitive. You add your files and then apply an effect. You first need to add a "preset" for the effect you are using so that the preset can be selected in batch processing (if not using one of the predefined presets).
hommystyle

Post by hommystyle »

Thanks DougDbug for sharing, i got your point