Problem overwriting Files.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coriolanus

Problem overwriting Files.

Post by Coriolanus »

Goldwave has a problem overwriting files.

I work with Audio file and in trying to creaete a CD length file I often have to copy one file to the beginning of another before I split them.

When I have a copied file at the beginning of another the program will NOT let me overwite a file of the same Name claiming it is already opened. It it NOT opened but just copied to the front of another longer file, but Goldwave sees that as opened.

Is there anyway to correct this annoying problem with overwriting files of the same name?
DougDbug

Re: Problem overwriting Files.

Post by DougDbug »

I don't know why GoldWave is holding the file open, but there are a couple of work-arounds -

Are you using the batch process to combine the files, or are you opening the file and copying/inserting the audio?

If you start with the file you want to edit and keep, you can add the other audio (to the end?) and save the changes without changing the filename.

But the best practice is generally to start with a new empty/blank file and build it up without altering your source files. Most audio/video editing is done this way, so that you don't accidently do something that you can't un-do (non-destructive editing). Of course, when you're all done and satisfied with your project you can delete the original source files if you wish.
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

I have two file - One is long 5+ hours and a short one 20-40Minutes (left over from splitting a large file by auto-spacing.

I open my two file - and do a copy of the short file and paste it into the beginning of the large file . I then close the small file.

Using auto-spacing I want to split the large file into CD length pieces and this is were the problem comes in. It will not overwrite the short file with the newer longer one of the same name. For some reason it sees that pasted file as still being opened.

I do not save the files as I like them in the original in case I need to go back to make any corrections in the original file.

And after I have split the large file I do not save it with the cue marks. So the long file is never saved with the pasted file at the beginning. I never destroy my original files

I have on occasion used the empty file and then pasted the cuts into it - but whe I have 3 or 4 large files (each close to 3+GB) I have preferred the auto-cue spacing to cut them up automatically -- I just find it faster.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

When you Copy a file, the file remains in the clipboard even if you close the file's Sound window. The file is still opened so that it can be pasted later. Preventing the file from being overwritten ensures that the clipboard audio doesn't change or become corrupt or deleted. To close that file, copy a different file or use File | New to create a new file, then use Edit | Copy. That will release the clipboard file, allowing you to overwrite it or delete it.

Chris
Coriolanus

Post by Coriolanus »

Thanks - I have had to do rename. Thanks for the info.