Make a song louder

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mr5973

Make a song louder

Post by mr5973 »

Hi,

I have a problem: I am making a compilation and there is one song which is noticably more quiet (that means the volume is lower) than all the others. How can I make this one song louder with Goldwave?

Thanks
JackA

Re: Make a song louder

Post by JackA »

mr5973 wrote:Hi,

I have a problem: I am making a compilation and there is one song which is noticably more quiet (that means the volume is lower) than all the others. How can I make this one song louder with Goldwave?

Thanks

A.) You can use - Volume - Maximize - Full Dynamic and see if that works.
If you need more volume (loudness) you can use Reduce Peaks function under Compress/Expand (Check DC offset), then use step A step again.
GOOD LUCK!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Simple answer:
Effect -> Volume Change Volume or Effect -> Volume -> Maximize Volume.

Be careful! If you push the peaks over 0dB, you can get clipping (distorted flat-topped waves) when you save, or when you play. GoldWave uses floating-point and can go over 0dB internally, but CDs and "regular" WAV files as well as your digital-to-analog converter are limited to 0dB.

More complicated answer:
Maximizing (AKA normalizing) will adjust the volume for 0dB (100%) peaks. But, the peaks don't correlate very well with perceived loudness. Perceived loudness is related to the average with some adjustments for frequency content.

So you can end-up with several maximized songs, and some may sound louder than others. Your quiet song may already be maximized...

Usually the best solution is to maximize all of the songs. Then choose the quietest sounding song as your reference and adjust-down the other songs to match, by ear.

Or you can also use Effect - Volume > Match Volume to match the average levels. But, you need to be careful not to push the peaks over 0dB if you increase the volume.

If you want to use Match Volume, I recommend the following procedure:
1. Maximize all files.
2. Run Match Volume, note the average, and cancel.
3. Choose the file with the lowest average as your reference.
4. Run Match Volume again bringing the other songs down to match your reference average.

There are other tools such as ReplayGain, MP3gain. and WAVgain that use a more sophisticated loudness algorithm to automatically match volume. Again, since most songs are already maximized/normalized, these will tend to bring-down the volume of most songs.

If you don't mind altering the dynamics in the music, you can use dynamic compression (Effect -> Compressor/Expander) to boost the average level without boosting/clipping the peaks:
1. Volume Maximize (to get a starting point).
2. Compress (use the Reduce Peaks or Reduce Loud Parts preset).
3. Volume Maximize ("make-up gain" to bring-up the overall volume).
(Repeat steps 2 & 3 as desired).
JackA

Post by JackA »

DougDbug wrote:Simple answer:
Effect -> Volume Change Volume or Effect -> Volume -> Maximize Volume.

Be careful! If you push the peaks over 0dB, you can get clipping (distorted flat-topped waves) when you save, or when you play. GoldWave uses floating-point and can go over 0dB internally, but CDs and "regular" WAV files as well as your digital-to-analog converter are limited to 0dB.

More complicated answer:
Maximizing (AKA normalizing) will adjust the volume for 0dB (100%) peaks. But, the peaks don't correlate very well with perceived loudness. Perceived loudness is related to the average with some adjustments for frequency content.

So you can end-up with several maximized songs, and some may sound louder than others. Your quiet song may already be maximized...

Usually the best solution is to maximize all of the songs. Then choose the quietest sounding song as your reference and adjust-down the other songs to match, by ear.

Or you can also use Effect - Volume > Match Volume to match the average levels. But, you need to be careful not to push the peaks over 0dB if you increase the volume.

If you want to use Match Volume, I recommend the following procedure:
1. Maximize all files.
2. Run Match Volume, note the average, and cancel.
3. Choose the file with the lowest average as your reference.
4. Run Match Volume again bringing the other songs down to match your reference average.

There are other tools such as ReplayGain, MP3gain. and WAVgain that use a more sophisticated loudness algorithm to automatically match volume. Again, since most songs are already maximized/normalized, these will tend to bring-down the volume of most songs.

If you don't mind altering the dynamics in the music, you can use dynamic compression (Effect -> Compressor/Expander) to boost the average level without boosting/clipping the peaks:
1. Volume Maximize (to get a starting point).
2. Compress (use the Reduce Peaks or Reduce Loud Parts preset).
3. Volume Maximize ("make-up gain" to bring-up the overall volume).
(Repeat steps 2 & 3 as desired).
Hi Doug,

I will admit I'm no expert with Loudness. But, I believe (not that you disagree), Loudness SHOULD NOT be associated with maximum sound pressure levels, in decibels. In other words, I can make a song Louder without increasing its (general) current sound pressure level (you mention clipping). I value GW's "Reduce Peaks", under Compression & Expansion. It helps bring to life everything under those nasty peaks, that I feel does little for music quality. It allows you to hear the music better, at lower volumes. Why I even value it for helping increase vocals, that needs to be more apparent. I made many (cyber) enemies, because I used to enhance, mild, gentle, Bambi type (CD) mastering, and give it a Terminator bold sound!! I feel, not many are "into" HQ sound, just like many aren't interested in Stereo mixes. Why I say that? Because I read MANY CD reviews, and so very few even mention sound quality.

Anyway, just my two (layman) cents! :)