Sound activated play (instead of sound activated record...)?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
KJIsaacson

Sound activated play (instead of sound activated record...)?

Post by KJIsaacson »

I've been able to configure GoldWave to record activity when sound is detected. Now, what I'm looking for is the ability to have my computer PLAY a pre-recorded sound when it sound is detected. GoldWave can't do that, but does anyone know of a Windows app that does this?

My situation is this: I've discovered that my dogs bark quite a bit when I'm out. After being alerted to this, I configured GoldWave to record sound that it detects in my absence. And sure enough, the dogs bark. Now, what I'd like to do is record myself telling them to "HUSH!" when their barking is detected when I'm gone.

Surely, if I can record something when sound is detected, there must be an app out there that will play something when sound is detected. But I haven't been able to find anything.

Anyone out there know of something?

Many thanks!
JackA

Re: Sound activated play (instead of sound activated record.

Post by JackA »

KJIsaacson wrote:I've been able to configure GoldWave to record activity when sound is detected. Now, what I'm looking for is the ability to have my computer PLAY a pre-recorded sound when it sound is detected. GoldWave can't do that, but does anyone know of a Windows app that does this?

My situation is this: I've discovered that my dogs bark quite a bit when I'm out. After being alerted to this, I configured GoldWave to record sound that it detects in my absence. And sure enough, the dogs bark. Now, what I'd like to do is record myself telling them to "HUSH!" when their barking is detected when I'm gone.

Surely, if I can record something when sound is detected, there must be an app out there that will play something when sound is detected. But I haven't been able to find anything.

Anyone out there know of something?

Many thanks!
Gee, I was thinking of a VOX, Voice Operated Switch, but electronics and interface need. Maybe best w/o computer. A voice command device (VCD) appears to be included with Windows 7, but I have XP. I GUESS, Windows would recognize the dog's bark, via microphone, and would trigger something!!! :?
KJIsaacson

Post by KJIsaacson »

JackA,

I think the Windows voice command works only with spoken words that can be interpreted, as opposed to reacting to a "mere" sound (like a dog bark). But you've given me the idea of posting my question in a Windows forum.

Thanks! (And if anyone else here can think of something, I'd appreciate it.)

Best,
Ken
JackA

Post by JackA »

KJIsaacson wrote:JackA,

I think the Windows voice command works only with spoken words that can be interpreted, as opposed to reacting to a "mere" sound (like a dog bark). But you've given me the idea of posting my question in a Windows forum.

Thanks! (And if anyone else here can think of something, I'd appreciate it.)

Best,
Ken
Ken,

You can always teach your dog to talk, then Windows would work! :-)
I foresee problems, like keeping your "Hush!" from reactivating the device (it would endlessly repeat). It would have to differentiate between your word(s) and the dog's barking and/or have an adjustable threshold to where your (recorded) voice won't reactivate. It sounds like a neat idea, but, certainly nothing simple (and inexpensive).

It's been awhile since I programmed, but it (if even possible) would look something like this...

Do until keyboard press
-- If NoiseInMicrophone > 0
---- Save microphone level = currentlevel
---- Set microphone level = 0
---- Play "Hush.mp3" 2X MaxVolume
---- End Play
---- Set microphone level = currentlevel
---- Bark = Bark + 1
-- End if
Loop
-- Print "While you were away, the dog was barking"+[Bark]+ "times".
-- Pause 5 seconds
End

I'll keep my eyes open!

Best,
Jack
Last edited by JackA on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KJIsaacson

Post by KJIsaacson »

Jack,

Ha! When I posted my question in the Windows forum, I said that I need a solution "assuming my dogs don't speak English."

Regarding my recorded reprimand reactivating the device and creating an endless loop: Goldwave's sound-activated recorder can be set to require both a minimum sound threshold and a minimum duration. If the sought for player could be set to require a minimum duration, that problem would be overcome. In other words, if the dogs bark for, say, at least three seconds, trigger the reprimand. But since the reprimand would last for less than three seconds, it would not trigger yet another reprimand.

I'm sure tweaks would make that part work... Just need the right softward.
JackA

Post by JackA »

KJIsaacson wrote:Jack,

Ha! When I posted my question in the Windows forum, I said that I need a solution "assuming my dogs don't speak English."

Regarding my recorded reprimand reactivating the device and creating an endless loop: Goldwave's sound-activated recorder can be set to require both a minimum sound threshold and a minimum duration. If the sought for player could be set to require a minimum duration, that problem would be overcome. In other words, if the dogs bark for, say, at least three seconds, trigger the reprimand. But since the reprimand would last for less than three seconds, it would not trigger yet another reprimand.

I'm sure tweaks would make that part work... Just need the right softward.

Ken, you know Goldwave better than I! :-) Never knew it had that threshold feature! :oops:
It sounds like something, not that I care to, that could be marketed, such as, "Heard Noise -> Play Loud Sirens", for theft deterrent! Again, I'll look around. Have a nice weekend!
KJIsaacson

Post by KJIsaacson »

Jack,

Seems I misunderstood the "minimum duration" setting. That set the minimum duration of the snippet that's recorded, once sound is detected above the dB threshold. This way you get to hear what happens a few seconds after the trigger.

On the quest for a solution that I've been looking for, I'm researching batch files. I've created a batch file that, when triggered, will play a sound file. Now I have to find a way to trigger that batch file when sound is detected...
23loise23

Post by 23loise23 »

Hello,

I GUESS, Windows would recognize the dog's bark, via microphone, and would trigger something!!!

Agree
https://www.woofingdog.com