Match volume of intro

GoldWave general discussions and community help
chrisjj

Match volume of intro

Post by chrisjj »

Is there any way I can get Match Volume to change the whole track volume such that the average volume of the first 10 seconds is the value given? Perhaps with some Batch Process trickery?

Thanks.
chrisjj

Re: Match volume of intro

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks Doug. The concerns I can live with but I do need automatic since I have hundreds of files. Thanks for the suggestion.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

You can do it manually, but I never use batch processing and I don't know about automating the process.

I also have some concerns about this process...

1. Select/highlight the 1st 10-seconds and choose Match Volume. Note the current average and cancel the effect. (You may want to then average the left & right channels with a calculator, or approximate it mentally).

2. Subtract your current average from your target level to get the required volume change. (Try not to get confused when subtracting negative dB readings, and make sure to make the change in the right direction! ;) )

3. Select the entire file and Change Volume by the calculated amount.

Here are my concerns - The into may fade-in, or not, and that of course will affect the average.

- The intro may be much louder or quieter than the rest of the file, and you will make excessive-unwanted changes to the overall level.

- Whenever you increase the volume, you risk clipping (distortion). To check your headroom before you boost volume, you can run Volume Maximize, note the current maximum and then cancel.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Hopefully, someone can help you with the batch processing. If seems like you should be able to most of it, but I don't know if there's a way to do a calculation to determine the change needed or if there's any way to use a variable for gain change.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Unfortunately there isn't a way to do that in Batch Processing. The average is calculated on the entire file/selection. There isn't a way to limit it to a subsection.

Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

OK, thanks Chris.

Please take a vote from me for adding to Match Volume an option for this. E.g. a checkbox '[ ] Apply to full sound" whilst calculating still only from the selection.