Voice adjustment

GoldWave general discussions and community help
dexus5

Voice adjustment

Post by dexus5 »

Hi guys,

I know almost nothing about sound and I need a help of someone who knows what to do.
I used goldwave only to record samples, but now I need to apply some effects to get things right.

Here is the URL:
dexus5.com/sound.zip

In the link are 2 samples, named as input.wav and output.wav

Both samples were recorded by the same person, however using different microphone.

and I need to apply effects to the INPUT.WAV so it sounds just like OUTPUT.WAV

My initial try was to resample to 11khz and then using equalizer to get the bass down but the result was not as near as I need.

Is there someone willing to help ?
DougDbug

Re: Voice adjustment

Post by DougDbug »

I tried a few things and I made some progress... Maybe with enough trial-and-error you can do better, but I doubt you can make them sound identical.

Equalizer - Pull the 60Hz, 150Hz, and 15kHz sliders all the way down. Set the 6000Hz slider to -6dB.

Use the Volume Maximize effect to bring the peaks up to 0dB. (This is just to get a starting-point for the Compressor/Expander).

Compressor/Expander - Apply the Noise Gate preset.

Compressor/Expander - Apply the Hard limit at -6dB preset, but change the threshold to -12dB.
My initial try was to resample to 11khz..
That will eliminate everything above half the sample rate 5.5kHz. A low-pass filter is a more straightforward way of doing that.

You might also try saving-as 8-bits. That will tend to degrade the signal. (I didn't try that.)
dexus5

Post by dexus5 »

Thank you for the reply,

I had tried the suggested adjustments, but the compressor/expander settings only made it sound worse.

The thing I tried is to reduce the bass just like you said, and after that resampling to 11khz.
Because the microphone that was used for the output.wav is only 11khz, but the result is not as bad as resampled 44khz to 11khz. :(

Maybe it has something to do with spectrum.
Once I had a look on spectrum analysis of the both sounds they are very different, but I dont know how to reduce the spectrum.

here is the example :

DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I had tried the suggested adjustments, but the compressor/expander settings only made it sound worse.
HA! :D I thought you wanted it to sound worse! :D

You said:
and I need to apply effects to the INPUT.WAV so it sounds just like OUTPUT.WAV
Maybe you mixed-up the files because the output.wav sounds worse to me. I didn't know why you wanted to do that, but sometimes people want these kinds of "effects".

I'm hearing distortion in the output sample and you can't remove that. :) (It sounds like a headset or "communications" mic.)
dexus5

Post by dexus5 »

Exactly, it is wireless headset mic.

But when I apply all the effects I think I need (bass reduction and the 11khz resample), I get sound like someone was speaking into an empty metal tin can.
And the sound OUTPUT.WAV sounds like from open space.

It is no problem for me to record all the voice with the headset mic , however there is alot of background noise that just sounds bad and removing it ruins the recording because the noise is very close to the voice frequency.