Industrial Application Frequency Removal

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Vibe1

Industrial Application Frequency Removal

Post by Vibe1 »

Greetings

I am new to GoldWave and would like to use it, if possible, to remove certain frequency sounds, so that I can detect the presence or not of other sounds. Roller bearings will emit high frequency sound when damaged, but on this one piece of equipment, where steam is injected, these sounds are muffled.
If possible how do I identify the frequency of the rogue steam and remove it, to be left with hopefully bearing tones?

Thanks

Bob
DougDbug

Re: Industrial Application Frequency Removal

Post by DougDbug »

The problem is,.... Frequency analysis or a spectrum display or anything the computer can do will include all of the noise and I'm not sure the bearing noise will stand-out in any better than it stands-out to your ear.

There are 4 basic types of filters - High pass, low pass, band pass and band reject. A high-pass filter will knock-out the low frequency noise, and that may make it easier to hear the bearing noise. If the bearing noise has a particular pitch, a bandpass filter will knock-out the higher and lower frequencies.

You might start with the graphic equalizer. Try reducing the sliders, starting on the left (low frequencies). You may find that one or two sliders represent the frequency band for the bearing noise. If so you'll have a rough idea of the frequency range, and you can experiment with high-pass or bandpass filters to better isolate the bearing noise.
JackA

Post by JackA »

Vibe1 wrote:Greetings

I am new to GoldWave and would like to use it, if possible, to remove certain frequency sounds, so that I can detect the presence or not of other sounds. Roller bearings will emit high frequency sound when damaged, but on this one piece of equipment, where steam is injected, these sounds are muffled.
If possible how do I identify the frequency of the rogue steam and remove it, to be left with hopefully bearing tones?

Thanks

Bob
Bob, why not just use a sound level meter with A-weighting? Maybe?
Story behind measuring sound in a factory to satisfy OSHA. May dad conducted it, but even when "quiet" (by human ear) the meter was still registering sound. After some investigation, it was compressed air leaks that also emits high frequencies.
Vibe1

Post by Vibe1 »

Greetings again

Thanks for you posts on how I can go about isolating the various frequencies. I used a 1650 Hz low pass filter that completely removed the high frequency noise from the steam and was left with only noise from the chain drive, nothing appears to be from the bearings.

Again thanks and will keep trying the software to see how best to use it along side vibratino analysis and ultrasonic analysis.

Bob
JohnLance

Post by JohnLance »

With a parametric eq set to boost on a narrow range of frequencies, you slowly sweep through the full range and note which sounds seem to be predominant at any given small range of frequencies. You will find overlaps, but your concern is to isolate frequency predominance for items that are producing sound, and this will help your ears to do that, and give you a readout at the same time from the frequency control of the parametric.

You then go back and pull down frequencies you don't want by using multiple parametric controls, leaving the desired ranges intact. This normally works better, but not always, than to boost desired frequencies. Sometimes it takes a combination of both methods, boost and cut, to achieve the better result.

This is not likely to produce a complete isolation, but this process should leave you with an enhanced result that is easily used by your ears.