Frequency analyzer over 22khz

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GeoSlv

Frequency analyzer over 22khz

Post by GeoSlv »

Why in the world don't these editors have higher range? We can record up to 192 khz. But then we can't see it or adjust it.
DougDbug

Re: Frequency analyzer over 22khz

Post by DougDbug »

I'd guess it's because it's an audio editor and there's not much need to go over the audio range?

If you actually want to go into the supersonic range (for scientific work or something like that), there may be some audio tools that can do it, or you might need a scientific tool like MATLAB.

If you are working with audio and there's a chance of supersonic "junk", it's probably a good idea to filter it out so that you don't end-up running supersonic signals through your amp and into your speakers. (I once fried a power amp when a preamp I was building started oscillating in MHz range... I didn't hear anything 'till I heard a little pop from the speakers and one side of the amp was dead... Tweeters can also be fried by ultrasonic signals you can't hear, although that's never happened to me.)

If you are actually recording audio with a regular microphone at 192kHz sample rate, there shouldn't be much ultrasonic energy and you shouldn't have to filter it out otherwise worry about it.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I have very good hearing, but I doubt I can hear much above 12 kHz. I recently heard someone say he could hear up to 16 kHz, though I had my doubts. 22 kHz provides plenty of margin.

It sounds like you're confusing audio frequency and sampling rate, which are two different things.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can see and adjust it in GoldWave. Some of the real-time visuals have settings to show a wider frequency range and the Spectrum Filter effect works above 22kHz too.

Chris
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Tristan...

I know what ya mean -- I can't hear much above 8,000. My wife can hear well above that. My daughter and her kids can pick up tones of 18,000 or higher.

If you would like a do it yourself test, you can find one at --- http://onlinetonegenerator.com/
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Looks like GeoSlv didn't really want an answer to his question. He was just here to troll. :roll:
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

GeoSlv wrote:Why in the world don't these editors have higher range? We can record up to 192 khz. But then we can't see it or adjust it.

Sample rate is 2x the actual bandwidth. A 192khz file would only give you 96khz of audio bandwidth. 48 or 44.1 khz only responds up to 22.050 or 24khz respectively.
Afterimage

Post by Afterimage »

The spectrum visual allows you to see very high frequency information. I have it set to automatically adjust the highest frequency depending on the file. I have a lot of HDtracks and SACD files and it's kind of cool to see how much info there is on some recordings past 20 kHz. The one that surprised me most was the HDtracks version of Prince's Purple Rain album. I saw all sorts of info well past 30 kHz on some tracks and harmonics right up to the 96kHz limit of the 192 kHz files.
dorkdork

Post by dorkdork »

I'm having trouble with this. I use the sine wave expression generator to generate a 10kHz tone. Then I adjust the playback speed upwards to increase its pitch. However, when the tone reaches 22kHz (at about 2.2x play speed), if I increase the playback speed any more it seems to 'bounce' off the 22kHz limit and actually DECREASES in pitch/freq as I increase the speed further. Also, generating a 23kHz tone gives me a 21khz tone, generating a 25kHz tone results in a 19kHz tone, etc. Any ideas? I have my playback rate set to 96kHz /24bit in both goldwave and Windows.

Note I do have the spectrum visualizer thing set to 40kHz, which its horizontal scale goes up to, but it just remains black.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The "bounce" is caused by aliasing. You need to create a new file that has a sampling rate greater than 44100Hz (the default). Use File | New and select a higher rate, then generate the sine waves.

Chris
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

dorkdork wrote:I'm having trouble with this. I use the sine wave expression generator to generate a 10kHz tone. Then I adjust the playback speed upwards to increase its pitch. However, when the tone reaches 22kHz (at about 2.2x play speed), if I increase the playback speed any more it seems to 'bounce' off the 22kHz limit and actually DECREASES in pitch/freq as I increase the speed further. Also, generating a 23kHz tone gives me a 21khz tone, generating a 25kHz tone results in a 19kHz tone, etc. Any ideas? I have my playback rate set to 96kHz /24bit in both goldwave and Windows.

Note I do have the spectrum visualizer thing set to 40kHz, which its horizontal scale goes up to, but it just remains black.
The playback speed basically changes the playback rate of the samples; in essence, it's a resampler. What you're getting is aliasing and harmonics. Aliasing and harmonics are the result of bad resampling; which occurs during a real quick basic "let's change playback rates".
Afterimage wrote:I saw all sorts of info well past 30 kHz on some tracks and harmonics right up to the 96kHz limit of the 192 kHz files.
I'd question the validity of those tracks. Any time I've seen harmonic images in the spectrum; it usually means it was hastily upsampled. An actual recording on any format sampled at true rate will not have these harmonics.

http://dewdude.ath.cx/aliasing.png - this is an example of an "SACD" rip that shows aliasing in the upper frequencies. This is usually the result of a very bad resampling engine. In this case, I do not consider this a valid 24/96 file; it was likely 16/44.1 that someone used a standard interplation resampler with no filtering.

http://dewdude.ath.cx/clean.png - this is a true 192khz file; with one window limited to show 96khz space. Not much above 30khz.

You shouldn't get harmonics in the recording; well, you will, but they will not stand out the same way as harmonics from bad digital does.
Afterimage

Post by Afterimage »

All I can say is download the file yourself and have a look. It looks right to me, no weird stuff going on.
GPL

Post by GPL »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:You can see and adjust it in GoldWave. Some of the real-time visuals have settings to show a wider frequency range and the Spectrum Filter effect works above 22kHz too.

Chris
Unfortunately, the lower frequencies are not visible.

I do a lot of editing of 24 bit, 192 kHz files, and the spectrum is cut off below about 93 Hz.

When will the spectrum filter be updated? It's unusable in its present form.

Gary
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can increase the "FFT size" setting in the Spectrum Filter to get higher resolution at lower frequencies.
GPL

Post by GPL »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:You can increase the "FFT size" setting in the Spectrum Filter to get higher resolution at lower frequencies.
Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to increase the FFT setting (which would add more echo); I just want to extend the spectrum frequency display.