Batch conversion of Apple Lossless (ALAC) to FLAC?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
tuck1s

Batch conversion of Apple Lossless (ALAC) to FLAC?

Post by tuck1s »

Is it possible to use Goldwave to convert Apple Lossless (ALAC) to FLAC?
I get an error message from the batch converter, saying the input format is not supported. Was using Beta 6.05.
DougDbug

Re: Batch conversion of Apple Lossless (ALAC) to FLAC?

Post by DougDbug »

I think you need to install iTunes or QuickTime in order to get the CODEC.

Or, try TAudioConverter (FREE - Open Source).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave v6 does not support ALAC yet. Support in older versions of GoldWave was handled through the QTFile plug-in, which used Apple's QuickTime Player modules to decode the file. As far as I know, there are no 64 bit versions of those modules yet and Microsoft doesn't seem to have any interest in supporting ALAC files directly.
kenk

Post by kenk »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:GoldWave v6 does not support ALAC yet. Support in older versions of GoldWave was handled through the QTFile plug-in, which used Apple's QuickTime Player modules to decode the file. As far as I know, there are no 64 bit versions of those modules yet and Microsoft doesn't seem to have any interest in supporting ALAC files directly.
... Just wondering if any progress has been made with ALAC in the past year. A passing remark: I use LAV audio codecs to play ALAC files through Windows Media Player. Could the LAV codecs be used by Goldwave to support ALAC files?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave should be able to open ALAC files (in M4A files) on Windows 10. Usually installing an ALAC DirectShow decoder should allow GoldWave to open those files on any version of Windows.
Island

Post by Island »

hi sir, sorry for disturbing, you seem to know a lot about audio, I also have a problem with audio codecs. Cupertino has been open from its lossless audio codec (ALAC), ALAC can reduce the amount of memory required for audio files by up to 50% without losing the original recorded fidelity, which is not as lossy as MP3 and AAC, but when I converted my FLAC to ALAC, I failed for known reason, I downloaded a program from a giveaway site, but it called me to set some parameters, such as framerate, I don't know about these parameters, anyone can help me? if Goldwave can directly convert FLAC to ALAC, I can download it too, please
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave does not support saving as ALAC. You can convert ALAC to FLAC, but not the other way. FLAC and ALAC give about the same compression level (50% or so) and there is much wider support for FLAC.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

when I converted my FLAC to ALAC, I failed for known reason,
You can de-compress your file to WAV (with GoldWave or a number of other programs) then I believe you can use iTunes to make ALAC. (I've never tried it... I've never used ALAC.) This is a lossless process but it's a couple of extra steps and you may loose your metadata tags.

...The rumor is, Apple OS (iOS & OS-11?) will soon directly support FLAC.