Is there a way to get Avg Volume for each of batch o files?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
MrAnalogy

Is there a way to get Avg Volume for each of batch o files?

Post by MrAnalogy »

I have a batch of files that we programatically matched the volume of.

I want to make sure they are properly volume-matched.

I see that GW can show the avg Volume (with Volume Match).
I'd like to get a list of files and their avg volume so I can see whether they are all pretty close.

(I realize that Volume Match isn't perfect. It might indicate two sounds are similar volume but they sound different to our ears. But it's the best automatic system I know of)
Speech Therapy Treatment Software
DougDbug

Re: Is there a way to get Avg Volume for each of batch o fil

Post by DougDbug »

I also use Volume Match (then cancel) to check the average and Maximize Volume (then cancel) to check the peaks.

I don't know if there is anything as good as the human ear, and two humans might not agree when two different songs are "equally loud".

But, there are tools based on EBU R128, and variations of ReplayGain that take frequency content (and the Equal Loudness Curves) into account.

There is a plug-in for Audacity that might be just what you are looking for. (I haven't tried it yet, but at some point I probably will because there have been times when I wished GoldWave had something like RelayGain.)

I have used MP3Gain and I've used ReplayGain in Winamp. These are intended for loudness matching and they don't give the loudness directly, but they give you a correction factor from a target loudness (based on an acoustic level of 89dBSPL through a calibrated system playing pink noise). So, if one song gets a ReplayGain value of 0dB and the other gets -6dB, you know the -6dB song is 6dB louder than the other. (There is also a WAVgain version if you want to process a batch of WAV files.)

Apple's Sound Check uses a similar algorithm for volume matching in iTunes or on your iPod/iPhone. But, it works in the background without reporting anything.
JackA

Re: Is there a way to get Avg Volume for each of batch o fil

Post by JackA »

MrAnalogy wrote:I have a batch of files that we programatically matched the volume of.

I want to make sure they are properly volume-matched.

I see that GW can show the avg Volume (with Volume Match).
I'd like to get a list of files and their avg volume so I can see whether they are all pretty close.

(I realize that Volume Match isn't perfect. It might indicate two sounds are similar volume but they sound different to our ears. But it's the best automatic system I know of)
This is a subject that interests me. I think of loudness, not only as with amplitude, but also with density of sound. Why so many songs were overdubbed, not to make the amplitude greater, but increase the density of sound. Like, you can record a pin drop, not so thrilling, but drop thousands of them simultaneously and it may sound like a clap of thunder.