Flac to MP3 convert distortion

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mspark

Flac to MP3 convert distortion

Post by mspark »

When I convert flac files to mp3 using the batch converter, the mp3s are unlistenable -- sounds like some serious clipping going on, especially on the bass. I imagine there are settings. Suggestions?
DougDbug

Re: Flac to MP3 convert distortion

Post by DougDbug »

It shouldn't be clipping, but MP3 is lossy compression...

What MP3 settings did you use? High bitrate MP3 can be very good. 320kbps is the "best" constant bitrate setting and V0 is the "best" variable bitrate setting.
mspark

Post by mspark »

I used the default in the batch processor: 192kbps.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

192kbps shouldn't be that bad, especially if you choose Joint Stereo. And, if you hear compression artifacts, it's usually not the bass.

Is that the only thing you did in your batch process? Maybe there's something else causing the distortion...

You can try a higher bitrate or try a different conversion program. For the last couple of years I've been using TAudioConverter if I just want to convert to MP3 (or another format). (TAudioConverter uses the same LAME MP3 encoder as GoldWave.)
mspark

Post by mspark »

If I convert to wav first then to mp3 the file is fine, distortion gone. I tried a FLAC to MP3 convert n Cloudconvert.com and it worked fine. The problem must be a gain setting somewhere in Goldwave batch convert. I'll try the Taudio program. Thanks
JackA

Post by JackA »

mspark wrote:When I convert flac files to mp3 using the batch converter, the mp3s are unlistenable -- sounds like some serious clipping going on, especially on the bass. I imagine there are settings. Suggestions?
Can you tell us what song from Flack you're encoding to MP3? If not, can you create a Flack snippet? There is a HQ MP3 setting embedded in Goldwave.

Jack
JackA

Post by JackA »

mspark wrote:If I convert to wav first then to mp3 the file is fine, distortion gone. I tried a FLAC to MP3 convert n Cloudconvert.com and it worked fine. The problem must be a gain setting somewhere in Goldwave batch convert. I'll try the Taudio program. Thanks
I do all my stereo (multi-track) mix-downs to 24 bit Flacks, never a problem MP3 encoding them. Have never tried Batch processing.

Jack