Problem with playback of mono files

GoldWave general discussions and community help
no1453

Problem with playback of mono files

Post by no1453 »

Currently, when I play back a mono wave while wearing headphones, it only plays in my left ear. Problem is, I'm half deaf in that ear. Other ear is fine. Looked through settings and the help file to no avail; is there a way to set mono playback to play the sound through both the Left and Right channels? If not, I guess I'll have to submit it as a feature request later. Thanks for any information on this.
DougDbug

Re: Problem with playback of mono files

Post by DougDbug »

Normally, when you play a true-mono file you get the same sound from both channels.

Is this a GoldWave only problem, or is it a problem with the file?

When you open the file in GoldWave, do you see a single-mono waveform? Or, does it show-up as a stereo file with a flat-line in the right channel?

A true mono file will show only one waveform which will be green if you haven't changed the default colors.

If you don't already have a true mono file, you can save as a mono format.

It's also possible to use Effect -> Stereo -> Stereo Mixer to mix 50/50 in both channels and then both channels will be identical, but that's not efficient and the file will show-up as stereo.
while wearing headphones, it only plays in my left ear. Problem is, I'm half deaf in that ear. Other ear is fine.
:P Turn the headphones around? :P
no1453

Post by no1453 »

The file is indeed mono, with only one waveform, in green. Under Control Properties->System, "use core audio/WASAPI" is selected. My audio device is a Saffire PRO 24 firewire audio interface, configured for 5.1 (6 channels). By looking at the mixer for the device, I can see audio is only being sent to the left channel. I tried changing the setting to "Use DirectSound API", but then the audio was only being sent to the 3rd channel (of six), the "Center" channel. But wait, that works! The mixdown I get to my headphones puts the center channel on left and on right.

(I did think of turning the headphones around, but I hate solutions like that :D )

So, based on what you said, it appears "core audio/WASAPI" mode is malfunctioning, at least with my audio device. But I can live with using DirectSound. Thanks for getting me on track.
no1453

Post by no1453 »

Oh, and I should have mentioned it's a Goldwave only problem, vlc plays it correctly (both sides).
JackA

Post by JackA »

no1453 wrote:Oh, and I should have mentioned it's a Goldwave only problem, vlc plays it correctly (both sides).
You created this mono file?
Stereo tracks play fine through both sides?
With speakers and this mono file, same sound out of just one speaker?

Not that I have any answer, just gathering information.

Jack
no1453

Post by no1453 »

The file was created by "Ham Radio Deluxe", just a simple mono wav recording of audio from my transceiver.
I checked a stereo track, and it was playing through both headphone speakers with Goldwave.
With the headphones unplugged, the sound is still only from the left front speaker, while using Goldwave's core/wasapi setting.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'll have to check into it some more, but GoldWave should be playing a mono file on both channels, even when using WASAPI.