goldwave 6.18 to 6.24 does not take in charge utf8 cue file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

goldwave 6.18 to 6.24 does not take in charge utf8 cue file

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i had a utf8 cue file with russian characters, and golwave did not get the names properly for the cue slip :

have a good day

clic to see the whole picture
Imagehttp://www.pix-host.com/allimages/33423270.jpg
Last edited by Michael REMY on Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: goldwave 6.18 does not take in charge utf8 cue file

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Could you copy and post part of the contents of the cue file for testing? Does the cue file contain the utf8 marker at the beginning?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i don't have it anymore (once i cut with cue, i delete it)..

but you can see on the picture
http://www.pix-host.com/allimages/33423270.jpg

that notepad++ could open it without problem and it was detected as UTF-8 (see the bottom mention).

i just rebuild another cue file with this utf-8 content, and the problem appeared again (whereas notepadd++ runs fine)

Code: Select all

REM GENRE Pop
REM DATE 2015
REM DISCID 96094B0C
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.1"
PERFORMER "МакSим"
TITLE "Хорошо (Deluxe Edition)"
FILE "МакSим - Хорошо (Deluxe Edition).flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Любовь алого цвета"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Золотыми рыбками"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 04:13:35
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Иди"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 08:00:29
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "В лето"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 11:24:65
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Стала свободней"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 14:28:48
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Вампир"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 18:04:20
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Не выдыхай"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 21:21:15
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Небу в лицо"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 24:39:17
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "Хорошо"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 27:23:13
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "Не знать"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 30:58:42
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Золотыми рыбками (Prod. By Ivan Martin & Tom Chaos)"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 34:01:70
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Любовь алого цвета (Prod. By Ivan Martin & Tom Chaos)"
    PERFORMER "МакSим"
    INDEX 01 36:38:29
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Thanks for the test sample. I'll look into it.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

well,

i just installed the last release 6.21.
it seems you changed something in cue file feature handsup...
now, the cue file even not loading at all with this error message : could not find cue file.

whereas the previous release and the 5.70 still loads the non-utf8 cue file (but with bad charset code i know).
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Import and export seem to be working on my system. Please post the contents of a cue file that isn't working.

Also make sure the name is correct (name.cue and not name.mp3.cue, for example).
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Import and export seem to be working on my system. Please post the contents of a cue file that isn't working.

Also make sure the name is correct (name.cue and not name.mp3.cue, for example).
i didn't have it anymore, because i worked with 5.70 to perform this task and delete the original file after done.
but before, i rename my files as :
1.flac
1.cue

and edited the cue line : FILE "1.flac" WAVE with a classic file editor.

but goldwave 6.20 didn't manage to open it where the 6.18 and 5.70 can do it (but without the right charset).
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

hi (chris!?), happy xmas (i hope)

now,i use 6.24 release (in win7 x64), and again, utf8 cue external file still remain in bug (cyrilic charset : russian title songs) ?

i have a cue file now in my hand, i redetited it, and it looked the OS generator is MACINTOSH (and not unix neither windows).
i can send you if you want.
else, here a downloadable version (not for a long time) : https://1fichier.com/?wdtuw4udm4

have a good day

GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: goldwave 6.18 to 6.24 does not take in charge utf8 cue f

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

A few things I noticed. First, the title bar of the editor has "C:\????..." as the filename, which suggests that the editor is having trouble with unicode filenames. Second, it shows "DOS/Windows" in the status bar. That usually means the editor has failed to detect UTF8 encoding and is using ASCII/ANSI encoding and won't write the required UTF8 BOM to the beginning of the file. GoldWave requires the BOM to correctly handle the file. When saving the file in the editor, be sure to select UTF8 encoding (if supported by the editor). Try using the Windows Notepad accessory instead. It should handle detect the correct encoding.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:A few things I noticed. First, the title bar of the editor has "C:\????..." as the filename, which suggests that the editor is having trouble with unicode filenames. Second, it shows "DOS/Windows" in the status bar. That usually means the editor has failed to detect UTF8 encoding and is using ASCII/ANSI encoding and won't write the required UTF8 BOM to the beginning of the file. GoldWave requires the BOM to correctly handle the file. When saving the file in the editor, be sure to select UTF8 encoding (if supported by the editor). Try using the Windows Notepad accessory instead. It should handle detect the correct encoding.
hello, my editor is notepad++ (coder&develop editor) which i guess it is more efficient than notepad...

yes, windows displays "????" in the title bar of the application but, you can see the editor decode right the name because it display the right string name in the tab name (filename), near the "host" tab i already open.

i just got the 6.26, the changelog said you didn't make any improvement on that point i guess...sorry to learn that.
did you get the sample file (my 1fichier archive link -now absolete) and reproduce and analyze this bug ?

You know it is very strange, it is not append on chinese file, neither greece one, nor japan one but only one russian coding name. Did you check you compilator or librairie date ?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You still need to save the file with the correct encoding (UTF8 and not ASCII, Windows ANSI, etc.). That will add the byte order marker to the beginning of the file.
Carn Marth

Post by Carn Marth »

I think the problem here is that his CUE file actually is not stored in Unicode (e.g. encoded as UTF-8) format, but in some "local" 8-Bit Codepage. Actually it seems to be encoded in the Macintosh Cyrillic encoding Codepage. Now, if you try to interpret this as either UTF-8 or as some other 8-Bit Codepage (e.g. Latin-1) you get "Mojibake".

Notepad++ would show "UTF-8", if it was encoded as UTF-8 (with or without BOM). Instead, Notepad++ apparently is interpreting the file using Macintosh Cyrillic encoding Codepage, which is the right thing to do for this particular file. You could do "Encoding" -> "Convert to UTF-8" in Notepad++ to get a real Unicode (UTF-8) file from this file.

BTW: It is, unfortunately, not possible to detect the "correct" encoding (i.e. the one intended to be used by whatever application saved the file) of a plain text file. The best you can do is some educated guessing. Also note that UTF-8 does not always use a BOM. Actually, the BOM character is intended to indicate the Byte Order for UTF-16 and UTF-32 encoding. For a "variable-length" encoding like UTF-8, which is a sequence of individual bytes (so no Byte Order!), using a BOM is not required. Indeed, many sources strongly recommend against using a BOM with UFT-8.
:arrow: https://youtu.be/gkB9xkjF6n8