Goldwave not detecting FLAC file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coolgamer

Goldwave not detecting FLAC file

Post by Coolgamer »

Ripped one of my CDs using Exact Audio Copy.

All of a sudden Goldwave is claiming the filetype is not supported in batch convert and can't figure out how to load a single file.

Using Goldwave 6.21.

I'd link to the file but the forum won't let me.
DougDbug

Re: Goldwave not detecting FLAC file

Post by DougDbug »

I'm not sure if you have a bad FLAC or if you're having trouble with GoldWave...

Do you have other FLAC files you can try?

Does the FLAC play on whatever player software you normally use for FLAC?

Does the file size look right? (A FLAC from a CD rip should be somewhere around 6MB per minute.)
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

Other Flac files work, and it plays in Foobar2000.

It reads in Foobar2000 as 1031 kbps, 44100 Hz.

Exact Audio Copy settings are High Quality 1024 kBit/s.

It's all the songs I've been ripping lately, though.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

is not supported in batch convert...
Maybe I didn't understand something... Can you open the FLAC in GoldWave? Maybe there's a problem with whatever format you're converting to?

If you just want to convert files (with no editing), try TAudioConverter. Once you've set-up the output format and the output location it's just drag, drop, and click, so you don't have to write a batch script.
Other Flac files work, and it plays in Foobar2000.
Well... That's inconclusive... :? Since other FLAC files work with GoldWave I think there's something wrong with the FLAC file. But, the file plays in foobar so it's apparently a good audio file...
It reads in Foobar2000 as 1031 kbps, 44100 Hz.

Exact Audio Copy settings are High Quality 1024 kBit/s.
My copy of EAC isn't setup for FLAC so I can't compare, but there's something strange about that -

There are no quality or bitrate settings for FLAC. FLAC is lossless compression so the quality is always 100%. i.e, When you decompress a FLAC you get the exact-original data back.

There are 9 compression levels for FLAC. Level 8 gives you the best compression (the lowest bitrate and the smallest files) and it takes the most time to compress. Level zero is the fastest but it gives you the worst compression (the highest bitrate and the largest files). There's not a whole lot of difference... A Level 0 FLAC might be about 10% bigger than a Level 8 FLAC. And, with modern computers compression speed isn't usually worth worrying about.

The FLAC bitrate can't be selected in advance. The bitrate you get depends on the sample rate and bit-depth of the original, the audio content, and the selected FLAC compression level.

1031 kbps seems a little high for a 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC, but it might be OK.
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

I can't even open the Flac files in Goldwave. It's odd because it's not just one bad file, it's all of them that I ripped from the CD, and indicates that either Exact Audio Copy is doing something wrong, or Goldwave is.

I think the only way to figure it out would be to upload one of the files in question for testing.
$lowdnlowd

Post by $lowdnlowd »

I had similar problem check out this thread:
it wont let me post thread link

or search for "Flac files not recognized."

hope this will help, sorry so late.