Can GW edit audio in video file (MKV)?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
KetchupKid

Can GW edit audio in video file (MKV)?

Post by KetchupKid »

I have Goldwave but I don't think it can edit a video files audio. If it can, will someone tell me how? I need to reduce hum in several MKV files.

If not Goldwave, how else can I fix the hum in a video file?

Any help will be appreciated! :?
DougDbug

Re: Can GW edit audio in video file (MKV)?

Post by DougDbug »

I have Goldwave but I don't think it can edit a video files audio.
Right... GoldWave may be able to open and extract the audio from an A/V file, depending on the audio format and the CODECs installed on your computer.

You'll need another tool to multiplex (combine) the edited audio with the video. Any audio editor can to that. Most audio editors also have some audio editing capability so you might be able to do it entirely within the video editor. Most video editors will also allow you to extract/export the audio to a WAV file for editing with an audio editor. (I've used Corel Video Studio and I've currently got Cyberlink PowerDirector, but I've never worked with MKV files.)

From what I've seen there are lots of free"tools for MKV files so maybe you can find a free tool to replace the audio with the edited/processed copy.
KetchupKid

Re: Can GW edit audio in video file (MKV)?

Post by KetchupKid »

Thanks for the reply. I actually solved the problem using Goldwave, Avidemux and AVS Video Editor. It may seem complex with three different apps, but it is really quick and easy. Here is how I do it:

For example, edit out the ‘hummm’ in the audio track of a video (MKV, AVI, etc.).
1. Open video file in Avidemux
Set Video Output as “null”
Set Audio Output as “MP3 (lame)”
Be sure Shift is unchecked
Set Output Format to Mkv Muxer (if video is MKV), Avi Muxer (if video is AVI), etc.
2. Select top menu Audio, then Save Audio. Name the target file as an MP3 file type. Select Save.
3. Open resulting MP3 file in Goldwave; remove the noise, etc.; Save.
4. Open original video file and the new MP3 file in AVS Video Editor.
5. Move video to the Main Video row and the MP3 file to the Audio Mix row.
6. Drop audio volume line in video row to the bottom (zero audio).
7. Play the video and observe audio-to-video timing.
A. If okay, Produce the result as a video file (it will have the new, edited audio in place of the bad audio in the newly saved video file).
B. If timing is off, still do step A, but before using the newly compiled video file, correct the audio timing using Avidemux.