Flac files not recognized.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coolgamer

Flac files not recognized.

Post by Coolgamer »

None of the files I save using Exact audio copy work in Goldwave, it states that the filetype is unsupported, even though it is flac.

Link to an example file for testing.

https://mega.nz/#!uotHnSQS
DougDbug

Re: Flac files not recognized.

Post by DougDbug »

I can't download your file. It says I need a decryption key.

Can you play FLACs on your computer with whatever player software you use? Can you play these particular files?

Do you have any other FLAC files you can try?

Do the file sizes look about right? A FLAC from a CD should be in the ballpark of 6MB per minute.

Try opening another format (MP3 or WAV, etc.) and save it as FLAC from GoldWave, then try re-opening the FLAC.
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

Try this link:

https://mega.nz/#!uotHnSQS!ygrmFEYkxDGN ... 7MklcZOW2M

Foobar2000 says it's 968 kbps, 44100 Hz.

File plays fine, every other program works with it but Goldwave.

Might be the program needs to be updated since I encode at high settings.

I use Exact Audio Copy, compression to Flac at 1024 kBit/s, high quality.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

OK, I've got the same problem. The file plays in VLC and MediaInfo says it's a FLAC.

I created a new FLAC (from a different file) in GoldWave and GoldWave could open it's own FLAC.

I was able to open your file in Audacity, then re-export to FLAC with a different file name, and I could open that file in GoldWave. So, you can "repair" the file with Audacity or depending on what you're doing you may be able to use Audacity instead of GoldWave.

...I'll try a couple of experiments with EAC.

P.S.
I don't often use FLAC but I configured EAC for FLAC and ripped a track. No problem opening it in GoldWave. I used the additional command line recommended by HydrogenAudio.

You might try CUEripper. It's easier to set-up than EAC.

I use Exact Audio Copy, compression to Flac at 1024 kBit/s, high quality.
The bitrate setting is ignored with FLAC, and I'm pretty sure the quality setting is ignored too. FLAC is always lossless so there's no quality issue. There are compression levels, 0-8 where 0 gives the fastest compression and 8 gives you the smallest file. (It might require a command line to change the compression level.)
Last edited by DougDbug on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

DougDbug wrote:OK, I've got the same problem. The file plays in VLC and MediaInfo says it's a FLAC.

I created a new FLAC (from a different file) in GoldWave and GoldWave could open it's own FLAC.

I was able to open your file in Audacity, then re-export to FLAC with a different file name, and I could open that file in GoldWave. So, you can "repair" the file with Audacity or depending on what you're doing you may be able to use Audacity instead of GoldWave.

...I'll try a couple of experiments with EAC.
So it looks like a confirmed bug in Goldwave then that needs to be addressed, correct?

My command line atm is -6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

So it looks like a confirmed bug in Goldwave then that needs to be addressed, correct?
I think there's something "odd" with your FLAC... I don't know what...
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

DougDbug wrote:
I think there's something "odd" with your FLAC... I don't know what...
Well, whatever it is, it's consistent. Every file I've saved with Exact Audio Copy has the problem. Since Goldwave is the only program having a problem reading it, there must be something about the file it doesn't like. If it was every program or more then just Goldwave, I could understand, but it seems right now that there is a flaw in Goldwave that should be patched, depending on what the problem with the file turns out to be.

Do the developers read these forums?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Do the developers read these forums?
Sometimes. But, you can contact Chris (GoldWave's developer) by using the form on this page.

He'll reply by email, so if you get a solution please let us know here on the forum in case someone else has the same problem.

...The FLAC I made with EAC worked fine.
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

The problem being I've already converted a large amount of my library into Flac, and so far the only program having a problem is Goldwave.

I prefer using Goldwave when I have to batch convert a massive amount of files to .ogg which is how I store most of my music on my Sansa Clip+.

Hopefully, it's something that can be patched or fixed. It just seems odd that it wouldn't recognize any of the files when literally every other program has no problem, including games like Audiosurf. That tells me I'm probably not the only person with the problem. Just the first to report it.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I prefer using Goldwave when I have to batch convert a massive amount of files to .ogg which is how I store most of my music on my Sansa Clip+.
You might try TAudioConverter.

Once it's set up for whatever output format you want you can just drag-in a bunch of files and click "Start", so it's a lot easier than programming a batch job.
That tells me I'm probably not the only person with the problem. Just the first to report it.
Right. Like I said, if Chris figures-out a solution please let us know.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The problem is that Exact Audio Copy (or some other program) inserted an ID3 tag at the beginning of the FLAC file, which is not permitted. FLAC has it's own tagging system.
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

All right, thanks for that, seems the option was checked for some reason in my program.
$lowdnlowd

Post by $lowdnlowd »

I know this thread is old but I just wanted to clarify that if you use the EAC program (Exact Audio Copy) and you are going to rip to flac format then please un-check the Add ID3 tag under compression options> External Compression tab. In addition, I would like to say, I am glad that I found this thread and solution I would have had many unusable flac files.
Irving

Post by Irving »

This subject isn't settled.

I ripped an album an hour ago to FLAC, with EAC, and Goldwave can't open any of the tracks. FLAC frontend says there's no errors, all other music programs play them.

Goldwave opens other albums which were ripped in the last week with absolutely no changes in settings.

Tags aren't the problem, or it doesn't seem to be so to my eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: for giggles, ripped the same CD again to FLAC with EAC, no changes in settings, and Goldwave sees them all. Go figure.

Another EDIT: didn't mention I've selected "yes" for ID3 tags in EAC. (Have also ripped another disc since first posting, and Goldwave reads the tracks just fine, go figure).

Goldwave 6.51
EAC 1.5
Windows 10 1903 - Goldwave 6.51 - Exact Audio Copy 1.5