goldwave windows are missing "minimize" feature

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

goldwave windows are missing "minimize" feature

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i use goldwave 6.23 on win7 x64 , and i noticed (since a long time, in older version too), that you forgot to add MINIMYZE feature on several dialog windows (where there is a gauge):

- openning a compress file
- splittin a file using cue

i hope you could fix that in the next release because whne you work on long file , then the process is very long and it would be good to "minimize" goldwave to do other things....

best regards

Imagehttp://www.pix-host.com/allimages/52548588.jpg

Imagehttp://www.pix-host.com/allimages/93792022.jpg
Michael REMY

Re: goldwave windows are missing "minimize" feature

Post by Michael REMY »

a third example :

the save dialog window too ! cannot minimyze goldwave..
Leprechaun

Post by Leprechaun »

I process long files as well -- typically > 4 hours, usually > 10 hours, occasionally ~ 20 hours. Like you, I want to do other things during that lengthy processing. That being said, I believe Chris would do some harm to GW if he facilitated the minimize function in GW -- and it really isn't a critical need. In Windows, it is very easy to toggle to another window (just be sure to change from 'Maximum Priority' to something less).

I must say that performing other tasks while GW is processing can have a negative impact on your results. My usual machine is a dual processor i5 and I've spoiled my results by playing Go; using Word or Excel; browsing; and watching YouTube. My heartfelt advice is to use a different computer to do whatever you want to do.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

this bug is still remaining and it XXXX me up :oops:
really.

very boring to not be able minimize the application during a simple task (liek cue spiting file) and go back to windows desktop and open app/do something else during the work!

seriously, what is the problem to not offer MINIMIZE icon button ?
Leprechaun

Post by Leprechaun »

Dude, if you are determined to minimize the window and do other things, then do it yourself: hold down the Windows key and tap the down-arrow key. <sheesh>
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

Leprechaun wrote:Dude, if you are determined to minimize the window and do other things, then do it yourself: hold down the Windows key and tap the down-arrow key. <sheesh>
the problem is goldwave is blocked in nodal/modal windows when a process is in progress! the central jauge window in goldwave is "fXcked" ! Sorry, no other word.
so you need to minimize ALL the other applications to minimize goldwave (keyboard : windows+D)
but, once you choose the other application to active, then goldve remaximize itself !
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Do you mean GoldWave's progress window is appearing on top of other programs? Try installing the latest update to see of that helps.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

once you minimzed ALL ( which i did not want to, but there is no other choice due to lake of minimize icon in goldwave operation-jauge dialog), you can not re-use other application without reopen goldwave in background.

this lack of icon exists since a very very very long time...and even in the 6.28 release, it is missing yet...
JackA

Post by JackA »

Michael REMY wrote:this bug is still remaining and it XXXX me up :oops:
really.

very boring to not be able minimize the application during a simple task (liek cue spiting file) and go back to windows desktop and open app/do something else during the work!

Not sure this will work, but Windows allows you to change focus on running applications, via Ctrl+Alt+Tab keys.

Jack
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

JackA wrote:
really.

Not sure this will work, but Windows allows you to change focus on running applications, via Ctrl+Alt+Tab keys.

Jack
yes / No

yes i know we can switch between application with this keys

No, because once Goldwave is opened in maximize windows, then once you got focus in another application, then goldve repaerred in background !!
you can try it yourself :
-open a little sofware like the text editor notepad
-open goldwave, maximize it, do a long saved task (like saving a long mp3, split cue file,...etc)
-during the goldwave task, minimize all (windows key + M)
- now, put the focus on your text editor to work during the goldwave long task : there you got goldwave re-maximized in the foreground even with the focus on notepad :roll:
JackA

Post by JackA »

Michael REMY wrote:
JackA wrote:
really.

Jack
yes / No

yes i know we can switch between application with this keys

No, because once Goldwave is opened in maximize windows, then once you got focus in another application, then goldve repaerred in background !!
you can try it yourself :
-open a little sofware like the text editor notepad
-open goldwave, maximize it, do a long saved task (like saving a long mp3, split cue file,...etc)
-during the goldwave task, minimize all (windows key + M)
- now, put the focus on your text editor to work during the goldwave long task : there you got goldwave re-maximized in the foreground even with the focus on notepad :roll:

I use an older version of GW (5.7x?), since I only use XP on my old Acer laptop. But, I know GW can be a hog, while encoding an MP3, for example, I'll switch and do something else, and when GW is done encoding, it pops up in front of my face! LOL! As much as I'm thrilled with GW, it can hog the screen :-)

Best of luck.

Jack
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

hi again,

i just discover you considered this problem in the batch process window dialog by adding a little "_" minimize button there !

so, let's add this button in the other dialog jauge windows ! you already done half of the path !