Some old aifc files won't work

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Coolgamer

Some old aifc files won't work

Post by Coolgamer »

So, here's my problem. I'm trying to work with a bunch of files from an older game. The audio plays in Quicktime 7.7.9, but most other WIndows 10 programs won't accept it.

The files are in aifc format.

I need to batch convert them. A lot of them. We're talking hundreds of files.

https://mega.nz/#!PtUi2RbQ!FcpuJZKlRDJJ ... MlZmtb8jnc

Here's an example of one file.

If Goldwave can't be adapted to accept the format, does anyone know of a freeware tool that can batch convert files like this properly?
Coolgamer

Re: Some old aifc files won't work

Post by Coolgamer »

Info from one such file:

Format : AIFF
Format/Info : Apple/SGI
File size : 257 KiB
Duration : 343 ms
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 6 130 kb/s

Audio
Format : PCM
Codec ID : ima4
Duration : 343 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 6 127 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 22.5 kHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 257 KiB (100%)
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

The problem is likely that the files are compressed with the IMA codec, which was popular a *long long* time ago for low-quality compressed audio.

You will need to locate an IMA codec. I can't help you there as it appears none such stand-alone codec was ever released.
Coolgamer

Post by Coolgamer »

Looks like it's a problem with the 64 build, which explains why it worked fine on an older version of Goldwave back when I ran Windows 7 64... back then Goldwave hadn't made the 64 leap.

Direct from dev e-mail:

"AIFC files usually contain compressed audio using an Apple specific encoder that is not available on Windows. If you have QuickTime installed on your computer, then you may be able to use GoldWave v5.70 to open and convert the files. It should be able to open the file using the QuickTime decoders.

Note that the latest version of GoldWave (v6) cannot use the QuickTime decoders because it is a 64 bit program, which makes it incompatible with 32 bit decoders provided in QuickTime.

Chris"

So... probably not worth it to patch it, but an annoyance. It might not happen often, but people might have to work with old files someday.

Workaround: iTunes is a POS, but installing it will enable a tool to convert these old files to .wav or other formats. Those files can then be loaded in Goldwave.

iTunes is bloatware, and I hate it. BUt hopefully someone else might see this thread and save some time.