How to create 'variations' of a sound

GoldWave general discussions and community help
RV55

How to create 'variations' of a sound

Post by RV55 »

Hello,

how can I make variations of a sound? Right now repeating the same sound (for a game) will sound repetitive.

Are there any simple ways to make a variation of an existing sound in Goldwave.

I know some basic functions but this I don't know what option to look for.

You know, instead of 'kaboom', also 'kabamm' or 'kabumm' I'm sure you get my point.

Thanks.
Tristan

Re: How to create 'variations' of a sound

Post by Tristan »

The simple answer to your question is yes, but you'll have to experiment with the various GW filters/effects to get the results you're looking for. You won't be able to just hit an "FX" button and get what you want.

Try the GW demo if you haven't already.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
RV55

Post by RV55 »

Hello Tristan,

thanks for your reply.

I understand that there isn't a single button to do this. I searched some more on the interwebs and found 'pitch' I experimented a bit with that and got some small variations.

But was actually wondering what you guys use to get variations? I have a glass breaking effect for example, and if the main sound goes klang, you could make it also sound kling, klong, klung, etc. If you know what I mean.

What do you mean by demo? I have a year license of Goldwave.

R
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Probably speed and pitch will make the biggest difference (and your changes don't have to be "small"). With the Time Warp effect you can change the speed with or without changing pitch.

The Equalizer will affect the "character" of the sound.

You can also shorten the sound with a fade-out/fade-in, and the fade-out/fade-in can be fast or slow.

You can mix/combine sounds... I once mixed a "boom" near the end of a "swoosh" sound.

You can delay one side (maybe 1/10th of a second) to make a stereo-echo. (Go to Edit -> Channel and select either the left-only or right-only channel for editing, and then add some silence to the beginning to delay it. Don't forget to reset for editing both channels.)

You can use the echo & reverb effects.

You can reverse the sound.

And of course, you can change the volume. Or, you can use Volume Shaping to make the sound louder/quieter at the beginning/end, etc.
RV55

Post by RV55 »

Thanks DougDbug!

Will try it out.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I couldn't have said it better than Doug.

Demo...licensed... No offense intended. Knowing "some basic functions" was a little vague.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?