why goldwave 6.27 alwys add it extended tag in mp3 ?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Michael REMY

why goldwave 6.27 alwys add it extended tag in mp3 ?

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i use gw 6.27 x64.
when i save a mp3 file, i notice goldwave always adds the lenght attribut-extended tag in the id3v2 tag.
is it an option ? each time, i have to remove it after goldwave which is a loss of time when i edit files.

thanks for a reply.

Have a good day
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: why goldwave 6.27 alwys add it extended tag in mp3 ?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Do you mean the TLEN tag? The length tag tells programs the duration of the MP3 file without having to decode or scan the entire file first (critical for VBR files). It is used (and often required) by many programs. Why would you want to remove it?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Do you mean the TLEN tag? The length tag tells programs the duration of the MP3 file without having to decode or scan the entire file first (critical for VBR files). It is used (and often required) by many programs. Why would you want to remove it?
- maybe because i didn't ask it and it would be good f it was an option.
- maybe because it costs less space on hard drive or memory storage capacity
- maybe because i clean all the useless extended tags that my library software did not use and produce slow-lag in search
(huge library).
- because winamp manage to read the lenght without it.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Maybe we are talking about different things. The TLEN tag is not an "extended" tag. Usually it is less than 25 bytes and provides vital information about the length of the file. It is used by hundreds of different programs, including Windows Media Player, iTunes, and even Winamp. It is essential for VBR MP3s that do not have a XING header. Removing it is unwise.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Maybe we are talking about different things. The TLEN tag is not an "extended" tag. Usually it is less than 25 bytes and provides vital information about the length of the file. It is used by hundreds of different programs, including Windows Media Player, iTunes, and even Winamp. It is essential for VBR MP3s that do not have a XING header. Removing it is unwise.
i just redid a test.
i clean all the meta tag (also called extended tag or attribut tag) which are stored only if the mp3 file contains a id3v2 tag.

once i save the mp3 whith goldwave (like i do a lot of time each i maximize the sound), it added the LENGHT tag whereas it wasn't there before ! maybe it is a dll or plugin issus or parameter somewhere ( with gw 6.27 ?)

ps : i use the free software mp3tag to detect that.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

How are you "cleaning" the metadata? Is the LENGTH tag you are referring to the TLEN ID3 tag or something different? If it is the TLEN tag, then that should not be removed or cleaned because it is a tag that almost every MP3 player uses.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

here the screen cap :

before : there is no "lenght" tag

and after i open, change a thing and save in goldwave, there is a new attribut which appears !
Image Image
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

once i save the mp3 whith goldwave (like i do a lot of time each i maximize the sound), it added the LENGHT tag whereas it wasn't there before !
Do you realize that GoldWave decompresses the MP3 file when you open it, and it's creating a completely new MP3 when you save? It saves the information from the old tags and writes new tags in the new file.
(like i do a lot of time each i maximize the sound),
If that's all you're doing you can normalize (maximize) with MP3DirectCut (FREE). MP3DirectCut isn't quite as precise because it changes the volume without decoding the MP3, but that also means that you're not going through another generation of lossy compression when you save. MP3DirectCut doesn't de-compress the file so it can only do limited editing... it can't do mixing, EQ, dynamic compression, reverb, etc.

And, since MP3DirectCut directly edits the file (or makes a copy), as far as I know it doesn't "touch" the tags.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

As I mentioned, TLEN is required by many programs (including GoldWave) to efficiently process MP3 files. Removing it is not recommended.