the best way to make all my songs louder

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sara

the best way to make all my songs louder

Post by Sara »

Hi
i have several songs in flac ,i want the play louder without clipping

ok i know the normalization works , i use to normalize replaygain

but i don't want to normalize them , i want they have to play louder , i guess the hard limiter -0.1 dB is the best choice

i have 2 questions?
1)
in Goldwave is the auto gain or maximize the volume the hardlimiter?

2) which is the best way in goldwave to make all the songs sound louder ? i have always used the hardlimiter

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
2leftfeet

Re: the best way to make all my songs louder

Post by 2leftfeet »

I use this method:- open the file, and then choose the compress/expand option and select the "hard limit at -6dB preset. Now then go to "maximise volume" and then apply the "full dynamic range" preset. This will give you a good sound without clipping. Having said this, music will not ever sound as well as the original because you will have lost some of the dynamics.
I use this method for preparing music for local girlsmarching teams who want plenty of oomph in their music!!
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Normalization sets the peak level. GoldWave calls it Volume Maximize, which is a better name, but the more common terminology is "normalization".

The peak level doesn't correlate well with perceived loudness and many quiet-sounding songs are already maximized/normalized.

ReplayGain will make many/most songs quieter and it will essentially undo normalization/maximization.

ReplayGain tries to match loudness, and since many quiet songs are already maximized and can't be made louder (without clipping or compression/limiting), the only way to match volumes is to lower the target volume, making loud songs quieter.

...Some people call volume matching "normalization", but that's the wrong terminology.
i guess the hard limiter -0.1 dB is the best choice
No. That won't do much.

Limiting (and usually compression*) pushes-down the peaks. So for example, if you take 2leftfeet's suggestion and limit to -6dB, that pushes the peaks down to -6dB and it will sound a little quieter. (The peak level goes down a lot, but the average only goes down a little.)

So next, you Maximize to bring-up the overall/average volume. The new average volume will be higher than before you started. This is called "make-up gain", and it's how compression (and limiting) are used to make music louder.

* Limiting is a special kind of dynamic compression.
Sara

Post by Sara »

2leftfeet wrote:I use this method:- open the file, and then choose the compress/expand option and select the "hard limit at -6dB preset. Now then go to "maximise volume" and then apply the "full dynamic range" preset. This will give you a good sound without clipping. Having said this, music will not ever sound as well as the original because you will have lost some of the dynamics.
I use this method for preparing music for local girlsmarching teams who want plenty of oomph in their music!!
Hi
wow it gives me great results , very loud

but can't add maximise vulume in a chain ,why?
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote: ReplayGain will make many/most songs quieter and it will essentially undo normalization/maximization..
hi DougDbug
so to create a compilation is better to use Volume Maximize then replaygain ,isn't it ?
I've always thought replaygain is the state of art to "normalization"
No. That won't do much.
Limiting (and usually compression*) pushes-down the peaks
hi
i have used in the past Effect hard limiter (no goldwave) with good results

Code: Select all

Maximum Aplitude -0,1db
imput boost 6,0 db
look ahead time 7ms
release time 100ms
do you think
I use this method:- open the file, and then choose the compress/expand option and select the "hard limit at -6dB preset. Now then go to "maximise volume" and then apply the "full dynamic range" preset. This will give you a good sound without clipping. Having said this, music will not ever sound as well as the original because you will have lost some of the dynamics.
is the best way to have all songs lounder?

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
JackA

Post by JackA »

Sara wrote:Hi
i have several songs in flac ,i want the play louder without clipping

but i don't want to normalize them , i want they have to play louder , i guess the hard limiter -0.1 dB is the best choice

i have 2 questions?
1)
in Goldwave is the auto gain or maximize the volume the hardlimiter?

2) which is the best way in goldwave to make all the songs sound louder ? i have always used the hardlimiter

thanks
I you look at Giles Martin's remixing of Sgt. Pepper album, you'll generally see a dense waveform that doe not even fill the envelope of an audio editor, yet, the recordings are LOUDER.

When Maximizing a waveform doesn't do much, I turns to Amplify Light, that loudens, but does not make it look obvious as brick walled sound. That feature is what I value most about Goldwave!

Jack
Sara

Post by Sara »

JackA wrote:
I you look at Giles Martin's remixing of Sgt. Pepper album, you'll generally see a dense waveform that doe not even fill the envelope of an audio editor, yet, the recordings are LOUDER.

When Maximizing a waveform doesn't do much, I turns to Amplify Light, that loudens, but does not make it look obvious as brick walled sound. That feature is what I value most about Goldwave!

Jack
Hi Jack
That feature is what I value most about Goldwave!
my native language is not english , i'm sorry
i guess i haven't understood
which features do you value most about goldwave?
thanks Jack
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
JackA

Post by JackA »

Sara wrote:
JackA wrote:

Jack
Hi Jack
That feature is what I value most about Goldwave!
my native language is not english , i'm sorry
i guess i haven't understood
which features do you value most about goldwave?
thanks Jack
JackA

Post by JackA »

It's okay, Sara, my English isn't great! :)
Dropdown Menu -> Dynamics -> Effects -> Amplify Light
I'm amazed how much applause (my web site) I gain from using it. I feel it's one of Chris's (author) home-run creations!
It uncovers sounds I never heard before (from CD)!
Most people just use compression and it's "visible" (waveform), like Gile Martin's recent Sgt. Pepper remixed album.

Hope that helps.

Jack
Sara

Post by Sara »

JackA wrote:It's okay, Sara, my English isn't great! :)
I'm amazed how much applause (my web site) I gain from using it. I feel it's one of Chris's (author) home-run creations!
Most people just use compression and it's "visible" (waveform), like Gile Martin's recent Sgt. Pepper remixed album.

Hope that helps.

Jack
Hi Jack
just tried it , and it's amazing and yes it helps
thank you so much Jack
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Post by Sara »

JackA wrote:It's okay, Sara, my English isn't great! :)

Hope that helps.

Jack
Hi Jack
about
recent Sgt. Pepper remixed album
, can you please show me a screenshot about
the dense waveform that doe not even fill the envelope of an audio editor
i guess perfect declipper or stereo studio are the only that can declip audio correctly
sadly they are expansive , and they have no manual
i have tried perfect declipper 32vst trial mode and it did a perfect job with the last radiohead album
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫