is there a way to find clipping point/cue?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: is there a way to find clipping point/cue?

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

If you play the entire file, then the red peak line shows the peak frequencies for the entire file. However that is different than performing a spectrum analysis of the entire file.

v6.29 had an issue with MP3 files, which was corrected within 24 hours and v6.30 was released to replace it.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:If you play the entire file, then the red peak line shows the peak frequencies for the entire file. However that is different than performing a spectrum analysis of the entire file.

v6.29 had an issue with MP3 files, which was corrected within 24 hours and v6.30 was released to replace it.
thank you so much Chris
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
JackA

Post by JackA »

DougDbug wrote:
is there a way to find clipping in my audio?
No... Maybe...

FYI - Audacity can do it (or at least it will show potential clipping). I'm a long-time GoldWave user, but sometimes I use Audacity.

I'll give you a couple of scenarios -

When I digitize LPs I run Maximize Volume to check the peaks (before any editing/processing). If the peaks are hitting 0dB, I'm pretty sure it's clipped (because it's very unlikely that the peaks hit exactly 0dB without "trying" to go over).

Maximize will tell you where the highest-peak is, or if there are multiple-identical peaks (or multiple 0dB clips) it will find the 1st one in each channel.

-- Maybe I'm using a older version of GW, but as I see it, Goldwave looks at each stereo track, but decides from one only, where the "Maximum" is set. Afterward, you can select the "other" track and Maximize it (too).
Would be nice to allow GW to maximize both, but I can understand why that may be frowned upon.

Jack