is there a way to find clipping point/cue?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sara

is there a way to find clipping point/cue?

Post by Sara »

hi

is there a way to find clipping in my audio?
maybe with autocue , i know it's for mark silence

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Re: is there a way to find clipping point/cue?

Post by DougDbug »

No... Maybe...

FYI - Audacity can do it (or at least it will show potential clipping). I'm a long-time GoldWave user, but sometimes I use Audacity.

I'll give you a couple of scenarios -

When I digitize LPs I run Maximize Volume to check the peaks (before any editing/processing). If the peaks are hitting 0dB, I'm pretty sure it's clipped (because it's very unlikely that the peaks hit exactly 0dB without "trying" to go over).

Maximize will tell you where the highest-peak is, or if there are multiple-identical peaks (or multiple 0dB clips) it will find the 1st one in each channel.

But of course, that won't work after maximizing and it won't work with commercial CDs or MP3s because they are usually normalized (maximized).

Note that GoldWave uses floating point internally (like most audio editors DAWs) so it can go can go over 0dB without clipping. For example, if you have a maximized/normalized file and you boost the volume, or boost the bass, etc., the level will happily go over 0dB, and it won't be clipped unless you save as a "regular" WAV file or make a CD, etc. So, the trick is to maximize after applying effects and before saving. (If the audio goes over 0dB, Maximize will bring the peaks down to 0dB.) Actually, if I'm recording from an analog source I'll usually run MaxMatch instead of Maximize.

If your GoldWave file/data goes over 0dB your DAC will clip at 0dB if you play it at full-volume.

MP3s (or floating point WAV files) can go over 0dB without clipping. But last time I checked, opening an MP3 GoldWave will clip-it to 0dB. And again, if you play an over-0dB MP3 at full-digital volume you'll clip your DAC.

Also, if you make an MP3 from a normalized/maximized WAV file, it will often go over 0dB (without clipping) because MP3 is lossy and the wave shape changes.... Some peaks will get higher and some peaks will get lower so it will often go over 0dB, and will show "clipping" (actually potential clipping) in Audacity. Many commercially released MP3s peak at +1dB or so.

If you have a clipped file and you reduce the volume (or maximize/normalize it to -1dB, etc.) , most software won't recognize it as clipped. The only way to know for sure it's clipped is to zoom-in and look at the peaks visually.

And since MP3 changes the wave-shape, if you make an MP3 from a clipped file the MP3 may not show squared-off waves.

Same thing with EQ/filtering... It will change the wave shape making it almost impossible to determine if the file was clipped before filtering.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
No... Maybe...

FYI - Audacity can do it (or at least it will show potential clipping). I'm a long-time GoldWave user, but sometimes I use Audacity.

I'll give you a couple of scenarios -
hi DougDbug
may i ask you how do you fix clipped audio?

and i have watched some tutorials and and reading some review about plugins i have found this

Code: Select all

https://soundcloud.com/acondigital/reflections-clipped?in=acondigital/sets/restoration-suite
in this case the audio doesn't even hit the 0db
When I digitize LPs I run Maximize Volume to check the peaks (before any editing/processing). If the peaks are hitting 0dB, I'm pretty sure it's clipped (because it's very unlikely that the peaks hit exactly 0dB without "trying" to go over).
may i know how do you fix clipping audio in the 2 scenarios?
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

Typically you need pretty specialized plugins since fixing clipping requires repairing the original waveform, which means guessing at the original shape/amplitude.

Basic tools won't do it, they'll let you reduce the sample so it doesn't hit clip level; but it's still got a flat-top and all the distortion. Does audyssey have a declipping utility? No idea.

Best declipper I've heard on the market is actually in a plugin called Stereo Tool.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DewDude420 wrote:Typically you need pretty specialized plugins since fixing clipping requires repairing the original waveform, which means guessing at the original shape/amplitude.

Basic tools won't do it, they'll let you reduce the sample so it doesn't hit clip level; but it's still got a flat-top and all the distortion. Does audyssey have a declipping utility? No idea.

Best declipper I've heard on the market is actually in a plugin called Stereo Tool.
hi
about stereo tool , i have downloaded the trial version ,the vst 32bit
but there is no tutorial about using it
in the site there is a text page without any usefull information about it (seeing i have never used it)
do you know a video tutorial how fix clipped audio ?

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

To find a clipping point, you can use Edit | Find, then select the "Peak/clipping" option, then set the "Above" value to -0.01 and the "Duration" to something like 5/44100 =~ 0.00012 to find at least 5 samples in a row (for a 44100Hz file).
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:To find a clipping point, you can use Edit | Find, then select the "Peak/clipping" option, then set the "Above" value to -0.01 and the "Duration" to something like 5/44100 =~ 0.00012 to find at least 5 samples in a row (for a 44100Hz file).
hi
thanks
is there a list of future new features?
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The "WhatsNew.txt" file included with the program contains a list of new features, but you'd need to get the latest version to see it or extract it from the download.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:The "WhatsNew.txt" file included with the program contains a list of new features, but you'd need to get the latest version to see it or extract it from the download.
hi
thanks
but i wrote the future features , i mean what we could see in the future release
in short what are you thinking to add in the next release
have a nice day
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Future features usually depend on what features are requested the most. There isn't an official list of what can be expected in future updates.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Future features usually depend on what features are requested the most. There isn't an official list of what can be expected in future updates.
hi
the 6.29 new features makes goldwave really really great editor tool! :D :D :D
love them!!!!!
Amplitude Statistics tool & Loudness effect (LUFS based) :) :)
thank you so much
maybe I ask too muck but would really amazing have a spectrum ( a static spectrum ) , load audio and scan all the audio and have a spectrum like the freeware waveshop -> audio->spectrum

after i guess goldwave won't miss anything compared to other audio editors
thanks & have a great day
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Have you tried the Spectrum visual in GoldWave? It has peak and average lines, plus it shows the numerical values when you move the mouse over the visual. You can pause playback to have a static graph.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Have you tried the Spectrum visual in GoldWave? It has peak and average lines, plus it shows the numerical values when you move the mouse over the visual. You can pause playback to have a static graph.
hi
do you mean select all the adio and have a static graph?
or should i play all the audio?
i have these settings
http://i.imgur.com/xRT5ZIg.png
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The visuals only does a short term spectrum and average, but the peak line would be the overall peak level for the entire file if you played the entire file.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:The visuals only does a short term spectrum and average, but the peak line would be the overall peak level for the entire file if you played the entire file.
hi

the peak line ,selected in the second screenshot ->
Image is the
but the peak line would be the overall peak level for the entire file if you played the entire file
and in the the red is the overall peak ->

yes? i mean do i understand it correctly?

just because i'm tring to make some measurements of audio equipment

by the way i see you release 6.29 and 6.30 without any changelog ,is just because 6.30 has several new feature and 6.30 is better then 6.29 (it's more clear the improvement with the goldwave number ?)
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫