question about encoders

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Sara

question about encoders

Post by Sara »

hi
i have 2 questions about the encoders goldwave 6.28

1)
does goldwave 6.28 or future version download only lame encoder?

2)
why is media fondation mp4 limited to max 192kb?

ps i guess the lame mp3 dialog is wrong , i let goldwave download lame.dll
and enabled the VBR quality (it's a preset it should be not relevant the bitrate range) ,bitate range should be enabled in ABR
thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: question about encoders

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave uses LAME and the Windows ACM encoders (if available).

The Windows MP4 AAC encoder is limited to 192kbps encoding.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

and enabled the VBR quality (it's a preset it should be not relevant the bitrate range) ,bitate range should be enabled in ABR
These are limits/constraints, apparently the -b and -B LAME command line options.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:GoldWave uses LAME and the Windows ACM encoders (if available).

hi
thank you so much
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:
These are limits/constraints, apparently the -b and -B LAME command line options.
hi Doug
but VBR quality 0 or 1 is a preset ,it should not take care about the bitrate range
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

So, what are you saying? Are you saying the LAME developers shouldn't give you that option or that GoldWave shouldn't give you access to that option?

If GoldWave takes-out those options, I'm sure someone would complain about that... I'm sure some people already complain that GoldWave doesn't allow access to all LAME options...

If you read the LAME link, you'd see that they don't recommend setting the -B upper limit with VBR, but they have not disabled it. LAME was originally designed as an "educational tool" and there are options/switches that most users shouldn't change.
Sara

Post by Sara »

DougDbug wrote:So, what are you saying? Are you saying the LAME developers shouldn't give you that option or that GoldWave shouldn't give you access to that option?

If GoldWave takes-out those options, I'm sure someone would complain about that... I'm sure some people already complain that GoldWave doesn't allow access to all LAME options...

If you read the LAME link, you'd see that they don't recommend setting the -B upper limit with VBR, but they have not disabled it. LAME was originally designed as an "educational tool" and there are options/switches that most users shouldn't change.
hi Doug
i'm saying that v0 is a preset and lame encoder uses its own engine to valutate the bitrate during the encoding and it 's around -V0 (~245 kbps)

i encoded a song @ v0 with this settings
the result is an mp3 encoded @128kb :? :? :?
i guess it's a bug ,goldwave doesn't call the preset -v0

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The range settings allows you to restrict VBR encoding within a specific range. In your example, you set the range from 128kbps to 128kbps and a 128kbps file was created, exactly as it should (please review the LAME documentation again). If you want to use the full range, then set the min/max values appropriately and allow LAME to decide.

Note that GoldWave may show the maximum bitrate of a VBR file in the status bar when you reopen the file (to ensure it is saved with minimal loss of quality). The actual bitrate may be less.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:GoldWave uses LAME and the Windows ACM encoders (if available).

Hi
may i ask a question?
it's just curiosity about Windows ACM mp3 encoders ?
may i know what encoder is it ? i mean the windows acm mp3 encoder?
is it an old Fraunhofer mp3 encoder?

by the way seems goldwave it's the only program that can use it

thanks
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

GoldWave uses the Windows Audio Compression Manager L3CODECP.ACM encoder module if it is available.
Sara

Post by Sara »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:GoldWave uses the Windows Audio Compression Manager L3CODECP.ACM encoder module if it is available.
Thanks Sir
Goldwave Lover ♥ ♫