mic settings

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Nelly

mic settings

Post by Nelly »

I had my mic set up and working perfectly. I am recording for an audio book. After months of working great my mic levels suddenly went off. I now have the sound back to the right volume after re-installing drivers but now I am picking up so much background noise that was not there before. I have tried every setting change I can think of both in Goldwave and in my laptop and nothing is removing it - Any ideas? I am getting desperate, I am doing my last edit of the book and cutting in lines here and there, so I need the quality to be spot on.
I think a system upgrade must have messed everything up in the first place but I've no idea which one.
DougDbug

Re: mic settings

Post by DougDbug »

I assume you're using some sort of external mic? If so, your computer may have defaulted-back to the mic built-into your laptop. Scratch on the microphone grill with your fingernail or move the mic further or closer to make sure you are using the external mic. If not, go to Options ->Control Properties -> Device and select the external mic.

If that's not the problem, make sure Windows microphone "enhancements" are turned-off. These are designed for communications (Skype, etc.) and they can foul-up recording quality by making automatic volume changes and other dynamic changes.
Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Thanks for that. I am using an external mic. Plugged into the usb.
I have tried altering all the volume settings but cannot remember how I got the background noise stopped when I first bought the mic and set it up.
I will definitely try what you suggest though. :D I'm having a day off tomorrow - 3 days trying to get this sorted so far, if I don't have a break I will end up screaming.
Nelly

Post by Nelly »

I have done all those checks and the mic is definitely working. The enhancements are not available for usb pnp devices. I am tearing my hair out here. My recordings were great before. I am starting to think maybe it is the audio adapter causing the background noise. I have only a cheap set up and looking on ebay I can replace it for a similar one for only £2.99.
I am now looking at much better audio interfaces but again I am baffled.
Thanks for your earlier help
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

When you said "background noise", I assumed you were talking about picking-up acoustic room noise... But, I guess you're talking about some kind of electronic noise? Maybe high frequency "mosquito-like" noise, or hum or hiss?
I am starting to think maybe it is the audio adapter causing the background noise. I have only a cheap set up and looking on ebay I can replace it for a similar one for only £2.99.
I think you need to tell us about your hardware. Do you have a stage/studio mic with an XLR connector and an "adapter" like this? That could be the problem. A proper interface would probably solve the problem. It's best to get one with it's own power supply (not USB powered) and if you're monitoring yourself with headphones, an interface with "zero-latency hardware-monitoring" is a nice feature. (That's where the monitor signal doesn't go through the computer so it doesn't get delayed.)

And, exactly what microphone are you using? (Make & model?) If you're using a £2.99 interface/adapter, I fear that you're also using a cheap mic... You don't have to spend a fortune, but you shouldn't look for the cheapest thing you can find.... For only a few-hundred dollars you can get a good mic & interface and you can get "nearly-professional" results. The one thing you can't do cheaply is build a soundproof studio.

Noise is (almost) always analog (acoustic or electrical). i.e. The noise is present before the audio is digitized and sent-over the USB bus.

Electrical noise can either be generated in the preamp (built into a USB mic or interface), or it can "get-into" the preamp from the power supply, or electromagnetically through the air.

Noise generated inside the preamp is usually hiss. Better preamps will have less noise.

Low-frequency power line hum (50/60Hz and related harmonics) can be from the power supply or picked-up through the air.

Higher frequency mosquito-like noise in an interface or USB mic is usually noise from the computer's power supply getting into the interface/microphone electronics through the 5V USP power. It can be caused by an electrically noisy computer power supply (a different computer might be better or worse) along with poor (or no) power supply filtering in the interface/mic electronics (so a different interface or different USB microphone might be better or worse).

If it's noise is from the USB power, a "powered" USB hub might help. But, you'd be gambling on the hub's power supply being better than the computer. And some people recommend against using a hub with audio, although I wouldn't expect any problems if you're not plugging other things into the hub.
Nelly

Post by Nelly »

I am using a tonor BM-700 mic. It was a cheap initial set up to see how I went on and was working great. My early recordings were clear with no background noise, though I was getting a fair few pops and clicks.
It is probably obvious that I know nothing about recording and the equipment. I have tried to research it but am finding it a bit of a mine field.
The mic is apparently the best for recording audio - condensor mic with cardioid polar pattern, though it is on the budget side. From what I can see, I really need a better audio interface but I have limited funds and do not want to waste money. I am looking at thishttp://www.maplin.co.uk/p/m-audio-m-tra ... face-n03ek
I am just waiting to hear back from Maplins to see if it will be ok for my mic as it has the lead you showed. Maybe I need to change it to a male/female one?
I have a stand with shock fitting and a pop shield and usually hide under a thick duvet tent to improve sound. though I am also looking at getting a cheap isolation filter to fit around the mic and save the hassle of my 'tent'.
Any advice would be much appreciated, though please tell me as if I am 12 - that way I might understand it better :D :D :D
Apparently I should also be using headphones, though I am not sure why or what good they will do.
Apno

Post by Apno »

DougDBug has given some great advice and trouble shooting tips.

Those BM-700 or NW-700 mics are funny. They look so fancy and cost so little. :) They do require power, and that has to be supplied from your soundcard. If the mic is working, it's getting power. I think most of these will work on anywhere from 5 to 48 volts. They can be powered by the 5V on most laptop mic connectors, with the proper cable.

Your audio interface, or USB soundcard is going to be important. It has to supply power to the mic, amplify the mic and digitize the sound to send it over USB to the computer. As you noted, you ca do that cheaply, or spend a lot. I like M-Audio (like your unit at Maplin) and own several. They are very good, and now owned by Avid. Be sure there is a driver for whatever OS you have! Most of mine stopped at Windoze 7 and don't work so well on W10. :evil:

No idea why your settings changes, it may be hard to pin down. Q: Do you have the XLR to 1/8" cable for the mic? Can you try using that right into your laptop or another computer? In other words, bypass your external adapter.
Nelly

Post by Nelly »

Thanks for that. :) I have tried by passing my adapter and plugging the mic straight into the laptop but still had problems.
Thanks for the tip about the OS. I'm using windows 10, so I will check to make sure it's suitable.
I've had no success with speaking to Maplins yet. Will give it another go next week.
Fingers crossed it is ok and I can finally get this project finished, though I'm probably going to have to completely re do all the weeks of work I have already put into it.