GOLDWAVE BEGINNER HERE!

GoldWave general discussions and community help
IAMGLB

GOLDWAVE BEGINNER HERE!

Post by IAMGLB »

Hello,

I'm Gerald, just recently bought Goldwave to replace Adobe Audition because of noise issues I had whenever I eq'd a wav file. I would like to find good tutorials to learn how to use Goldwave effectively with when cleaning up, editing, mastering, and adding effects to my wav files. Any serious advice, and or with learning this software is appreciated.

Thanks!
Tristan

Re: GOLDWAVE BEGINNER HERE!

Post by Tristan »

GoldWave declicker tends to be kind of artifact-y. The problem seems to be worse with longer files than with shorter ones. Caching issue? I dunno.

I haven't had any issues with the other GW features.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Any serious advice, and or with learning this software is appreciated.
I don't know of any good tutorials and as far as I know there are no "official GoldWave" tutorials. But the user manual and help files are very-good, and you can get some good help here.

The concepts are the same with any audio editor, so you'll just have to get used to a new interface and possibly some different terminology (Goldwave calls Normalize "Maximize"). And overall, there are probably fewer functions/effects/features in GoldWave compared to Audition. \
to replace Adobe Audition because of noise issues I had whenever I eq'd a wav file.
I don't understand why that would happen. Audition is a "good" program... Of course, with EQ, you can end-up boosting the levels into distortion but noise and distortion are different. ...Except of course, if you boost the highs you're going to boost any existing hiss and if you boost the lows you're going to boost any existing hum, etc. ;)

----------------------------------
A million years ago, I chose GoldWave over Cool Edit, which Adobe bought and turned-into Audition. I mainly chose GoldWave because you didn't have to pay extra for the "pro" version. But, what has REALLY paid-off is the free upgrades over all those years. GoldWave doesn't do everything and sometimes I'll use a different tool, and I'll occasionally use Audacity. But, GoldWave is my go-to audio editor and one of my all-time favorite programs of any kind!
JackA

Post by JackA »

IAMGLB wrote:Hello,

I'm Gerald, just recently bought Goldwave to replace Adobe Audition because of noise issues I had whenever I eq'd a wav file. I would like to find good tutorials to learn how to use Goldwave effectively with when cleaning up, editing, mastering, and adding effects to my wav files. Any serious advice, and or with learning this software is appreciated.

Thanks!
This may sound silly, but some vinyl LP "rips" have clicks and pops. I aggressively try to remove them, and most of the time, I'm successful. However, sometimes it calls for severe measures, so I zoom-in where the noise is, and select it, then hit the "Delete" key. Then, even I forget where the noise was!! Not like anyone will miss a some milliseconds of sound. :)

Jack
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

JackA wrote:
... so I zoom-in where the noise is, and select it, then hit the "Delete" key. Then, even I forget where the noise was!! Not like anyone will miss a some milliseconds of sound. :)

Jack

That is if they don't mind things like reverb mistiming or phase issues. :roll: Yours is an extremely bad idea.
JackA

Post by JackA »

Tristan wrote:
JackA wrote:
... so I zoom-in where the noise is, and select it, then hit the "Delete" key. Then, even I forget where the noise was!! Not like anyone will miss a some milliseconds of sound. :)

Jack

That is if they don't mind things like reverb mistiming or phase issues. :roll: Yours is an extremely bad idea.
But, Tristan, I thought we were friends! :)
I'm not ashamed to post what I do. Here's the vinyl rip, feel free to tell me where I removed the audio blurb...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... rden-q.mp3

What is scary, is to listen about poor edits, that actually made US Top 40. But not a soul complained, so I "fixed" what shouldn't be. It was obvious, the bridge was added AFTER the fact and someone created a poor slice allowing me to hear remnants of the prior splice....
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... hard-e.mp3

This gained me applause, claiming it sounded better than what the Columbia Records engineers published...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... sohard.mp3

But, I say, but, both Rhino and Varese Sarbande didn't care if I heard garbled tape. But this one took a bit more effort, replacing a piece on one stereo channel, keeping everything in sync. I think it took 1.7 seconds to rid the garbled tape, borrowing a piece and using it elsewhere. Tape damaged occurred at 2:28...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... ymammy.mp3

I'm just amazed what $45 gained me (GW), like having 10X the capabilities than past analog(ue) recording engineers had, doing work the same work in 1/10 the time!

Jack
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

That's nice, Jack. You told me everything I needed to know with, "Not like anyone will miss a some milliseconds of sound." That established your credibility.

The pros I know use programs like Izotope RX, Sequoia, and CEDAR to do serious audio editing. Goldwave has its place, and does a lot for $45, but you'd quickly discover that, with a more capable audio program, you wouldn't have to go last ditch and excise pieces from the time domain to get rid of noise, and count on the listener not to notice.

What's the point of you're using a digital audio editor? Why not just splice tape? You're basically doing the same thing, but digitally. Dave Lau, from Brookwood Studios, is a professional engineer I know who does audio restoration, and if he told his clients that he sometimes got rid of noise by simply shortening the audio file a little bit, his clients would abandon him.

Anyway, I've never had to reach for the 'delete' button when dealing with noise, but that's because I have more capable editing software. OTOH, my other programs can't rip CD's or batch process or do a lot of other household chores the way Goldwave can. Goldwave is a great "jackknife" program for audio work, not a trivial thing.

Moving on to my original reason for posting...

I don't know why people like the OP post seemingly urgent questions, then never come back to read the responses.
JackA

Post by JackA »

Tristan wrote:That's nice, Jack. You told me everything I needed to know with, "Not like anyone will miss a some milliseconds of sound." That established your credibility.

The pros I know use programs like Izotope RX, Sequoia, and CEDAR to do serious audio editing. Goldwave has its place, and does a lot for $45, but you'd quickly discover that, with a more capable audio program, you wouldn't have to go last ditch and excise pieces from the time domain to get rid of noise, and count on the listener not to notice.

What's the point of you're using a digital audio editor? Why not just splice tape? You're basically doing the same thing, but digitally. Dave Lau, from Brookwood Studios, is a professional engineer I know who does audio restoration, and if he told his clients that he sometimes got rid of noise by simply shortening the audio file a little bit, his clients would abandon him.

Anyway, I've never had to reach for the 'delete' button when dealing with noise, but that's because I have more capable editing software. OTOH, my other programs can't rip CD's or batch process or do a lot of other household chores the way Goldwave can. Goldwave is a great "jackknife" program for audio work, not a trivial thing.

Moving on to my original reason for posting...

I don't know why people like the OP post seemingly urgent questions, then never come back to read the responses.
Hi Tristan!
When the noise obliterates the music, not much you can, but chop it away. I can't see ANYONE creating software to put music back in. Granted, I have done that, borrowing from another portion o\f the song, but nothing available for that song.

But may I explain myself a bit. You know Photoshop, well in usenet a female was basically yelling for help with an animation. I didn't see any Photoshop users helping, so I offered to do it for her. I used GIMP that is free to use, and Paint Shop Pro to finalize the animation. She was so very happy, I felt good I could help her.
Bottom line, you can put the most expensive software in front of someone, but that doesn't mean they'll perform well with it. Goldlwave has all I need (except mixing, I use Audacity).

I enjoy Goldlwave! :-)

Anyway, what I created in about an honest hour....
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/shutterwork.gif

Best,
Jack
p.s. Thank you.