OT: A Note to Chris

GoldWave general discussions and community help
JackA

OT: A Note to Chris

Post by JackA »

When I discovered what I could do with GW, when I used the "toll" version a decade+ back, the CD files began sounding more like what I experienced on vinyl records! I stayed up all night GW exploring, was too tired to go to work the next day! :) Some people make it evident what their goal is when you find a brickwalled waveform. Not me, I use your Effect -> Dynamics -> Amplify Light (when appropriate) and, boy, it adds LUSTER to the audio, without becoming visually evident. One person claimed I did better than Columbia Records engineers! I feel less guilty using it, than trimming peaks, or cutting the grass, per se'. From a (kind) visitor of my site [early 70's US hit]:

"Your version is totally separated…I never heard this song sound so good! I notice it’s the LP version (I think the 45 version is just faded early)".

Feel man was shortchanged and was not prepared to put audio on CD, in the early days. Felt DAW (software) is what made CD audio shine. But, computers were too slow to process audio, early on (my opinion).

If you can, even though I read about the early GW, I'd like to know why you became interested in creating an audio editor (even seen an early GW post in usenet). At one time, I loved programming in DOS!

Anyway, a sincere thank you!

Best,
Jack
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: OT: A Note to Chris

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Before working on GoldWave a couple of my hobbies were playing the piano and creating simple games (things similar to Breakout, Q*Bert, etc.). For the game audio, I created a function in assembly language similar to the PLAY statement in GW-BASIC, which could play simple tones (beeps) for music. Around that time, programs that could play any digital audio through the PC speaker started to appear, such as "Play" and "ModPlay" by Mark J Cox. I found those programs very impressive considering the PC speaker didn't have a digital-to-analog converter. I figured out how that worked, I created my own [url=http://www.goldwave.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14112#p14112]sound card[/url], I invested in a SoundBlaster sound card and development kit, and started working on a basic audio editor called ScopeTrax. When Windows started to become popular, I thought there could be a lot of interest in an audio editor for Windows. Guess I was right. 25 years later and it's still going.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Chris... I and many others are happy with what you have done for all of us. I am now retired, so that makes me a hobbyist today. But for many years, I was a broadcaster, and dabbled in the VO market. For years, I had to use reel to reel tape and razor blades... much more work and no possibility of doing some of the things that are now so easy with Goldwave.

I've tried some of the Goldwave competitors on the market. I didn't much care for any of them. The learning curve for Goldwave was relatively easy. You've made it very intuitive. Not so for others I tried out. The free updates for life have been a real blessing. Thank You!
lwk

Post by lwk »

donrandall wrote:Chris... I and many others are happy with what you have done for all of us... I had to use reel to reel tape and razor blades... tried some of the Goldwave competitors... You've made it very intuitive... free updates for life have been a real blessing... Thank You!
Like Don, I too spent many hours with cutting tools and splicing tape in the pre-digital age dating back to the late 60's. I am equally grateful to Chris for the Goldwave product. Although my career was primarily focused on the playing of instruments it also included a great deal of recording engineering and production. Today's audio tools like Goldwave make it very much like comparing a space shuttle to a covered wagon. Those who do the pioneering deserve to be recognized... Thanks Chris!

All my best,
Larry
JackA

Post by JackA »

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Before working on GoldWave a couple of my hobbies were playing the piano and creating simple games (things similar to Breakout, Q*Bert, etc.). For the game audio, I created a function in assembly language similar to the PLAY statement in GW-BASIC, which could play simple tones (beeps) for music. Around that time, programs that could play any digital audio through the PC speaker started to appear, such as "Play" and "ModPlay" by Mark J Cox. I found those programs very impressive considering the PC speaker didn't have a digital-to-analog converter. I figured out how that worked, I created my own sound card, I invested in a SoundBlaster sound card and development kit, and started working on a basic audio editor called ScopeTrax. When Windows started to become popular, I thought there could be a lot of interest in an audio editor for Windows. Guess I was right. 25 years latter and it's still going.
Like others here, you did a great job with GW, Simple to use, but sounds like a Pro!
I bet you miss the days of directly accessing hardware :)
Though I'm purposely behind in versions (due to OS), Stereo Center works well. Helpful with poor stereo mixing/recordings.
I progressed QB4.5 to PowerBasic (could include inline Assembly).

Thanks for the history!

Jack
JackA

Post by JackA »

JackA wrote:When I discovered what I could do with GW, when I used the "toll" version a decade+ back, the CD files began sounding more like what I experienced on vinyl records! I stayed up all night GW exploring, was too tired to go to work the next day! :) Some people make it evident what their goal is when you find a brickwalled waveform. Not me, I use your Effect -> Dynamics -> Amplify Light (when appropriate) and, boy, it adds LUSTER to the audio, without becoming visually evident. One person claimed I did better than Columbia Records engineers! I feel less guilty using it, than trimming peaks, or cutting the grass, per se'. From a (kind) visitor of my site [early 70's US hit]:

"Your version is totally separated…I never heard this song sound so good! I notice it’s the LP version (I think the 45 version is just faded early)".

Feel man was shortchanged and was not prepared to put audio on CD, in the early days. Felt DAW (software) is what made CD audio shine. But, computers were too slow to process audio, early on (my opinion).

If you can, even though I read about the early GW, I'd like to know why you became interested in creating an audio editor (even seen an early GW post in usenet). At one time, I loved programming in DOS!

Anyway, a sincere thank you!

Best,
Jack
And, of course, your Stereo Center in action - Side Channel increase, probably 5 DB. I thought, Canadian born Artist, needs Canadian born software help. Published with little "stereo". Worked nicely, even clarified!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/i ... onssun.mp3

No RSVP.
Jack