A fade out for audio in Goldwave- need a simplification

GoldWave general discussions and community help
loninappleton

A fade out for audio in Goldwave- need a simplification

Post by loninappleton »

The subject line says simplifacation. Ihave problem mousing to a hairline due to physical
hand motion.

An alternative would be numeric input along the time line:

Set fade out start time
go to end of file or set end time. Done and Save

Here is where I ran into a problem in an alternative program which has an easily identifiable
numeric input: What I set in the time line for fade period refused to "take" on execution.
I heard the fade in playback but it was 'too short' and then resumed a bit of audio applause at the end.

How can I set a fade in Goldwave with numeric start and stop in the basic fade operation
or the 'musical' fade box? Please be specific and enumerate the steps.

The goal is to avoid
trying to find a hairline marker altogether and have a complete fadeout over two seconds.
Waffles

Re: A fade out for audio in Goldwave- need a simplification

Post by Waffles »

If I understand correctly, you're having trouble using the mouse to select the exact region you want to fade out, and would like to be able to input via keyboard the numeric boundaries of the region you would like to select. There is a way to do so:
  • Click the Edit menu
  • Click "Selection"
  • Click "Set..."
Or use the shortcut Shift+E.

The prompt that appears will allow you to type in the start and finish selection boundaries that you want. You can type in a time-based range, e.g. HH:MM:SSS.sssss, or a sample-based range.

After you've made your selection this way, you can go ahead and run the fade command like you normally do.

The Set Selection prompt doesn't have selectors like "start/end of wave" but one workaround is to press Ctrl+A in the editor window to select the entire wave, then press Shift+E to go into the Set Selection prompt and enter the start position you want.
loninappleton

Re: A fade out for audio in Goldwave- need a simplification

Post by loninappleton »

Thank you I'll try that.