Batch Process Multiple Files with Single Channel Effect

GoldWave general discussions and community help
petenoak

Batch Process Multiple Files with Single Channel Effect

Post by petenoak »

OK, here's a challenge. I know how to apply the same effect effect to a group of audio files with Goldwave under Batch Processing. However, I'm stumped on how to apply an effect to just one of the stereo channels in Batch Processing. Is there some command to "Select the Right Channel", then I can follow this with an EQ of the that channel. This is some sort of "Chain" of commands or effects in Batch Processing I guess but I'm not sure how to do this.

Here's why I need to do this. I have some symphony concerts from the past, tapped off the air on r-t-r machines. By the time the files reach me the stereo channel mix is off. Usually pitch, too. But frequently with old reel tapes the original tape recorder or the playback recorder used for digitization were out of adjustment.

I have a concert where the left channel is a LOT brighter than the other and the woodwinds in center of the orchestra sound like they're over on the left.

Anyway, I either have to adjust the spectral balance of the two channels in each file, one at a time, or I paste the entire concert back together, apply the EQ to the right or left channel globally and then split the concert back into the individual movements (tracks) for burning or Itunes playback.

There must be an easier way to do this.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

pete in oakland, ca.
petenoak

Re: Batch Process Multiple Files with Single Channel Effect

Post by petenoak »

OK, I can answer my own question. It turns out to be rather straightforward.

The main issue is that in Batch Processing, there IS an Edit command to select one channel. Then you can follow this with an EQ command and this will apply the same EQ to all files. As I said in my O.P., old reel-to-reel tapes can have significant differences in channel EQ.

Here are the steps:
choose Batch Processing
choose Add Files and find your Source files that you want to edit
under Process, choose Add Edit
choose the Edit Command "Channel Selection"
de-click all the channels you don't want to be selected, i.e. leave checked only the right or left channel
close the Add Edit window and choose Add Effect and choose an EQ preset or any other "effect" that you want to apply to only this channel.

I tried this and I think it works as long as you make the first command the Channel Selection command.

pete in oakland, ca.