Not opening my WAV files

GoldWave general discussions and community help
terrypin

Not opening my WAV files

Post by terrypin »

My mic recordings are WAV files that can be played reliably by all my other audio players and editors, but GoldWave (6.31) behaves oddly. D-clicking often gives this error:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bp12ols48gah ... r.jpg?dl=0

Closing that I get "Could not open the file. The file cannot be accessed or its format is not supported."

Yet if I copy that WAV from its current folder (where it was placed by my video editor) to another folder, d-clicking that plays OK.

I think the problem might only be arising if that WAV is currently open in my video editor. But why then do those play in MediaMonkey, Groove Music, etc?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
DougDbug

Re: Not opening my WAV files

Post by DougDbug »

I think the problem might only be arising if that WAV is currently open in my video editor. But why then do those play in MediaMonkey, Groove Music, etc?
I'd guess you're right. A file can be open for reading and/or writing and you can often open a file for reading (playing) by multiple programs, but if you are editing the file you have to write to it.

The application doesn't have to "hold" a file open. I think you can open a text file with Word and Notepad at the same time and alternately save to it, but I'm pretty sure GoldWave holds the file open and your video editor may be doing the same thing. But... you could really foul things up editing in two different programs at the same time. If you de-click in GoldWave and save, you'd over-write the de-clicked file later when you save the original file from your video editor.

There may also be a way to exclusively open a file for reading, but I'm not sure.
terrypin

Re: Not opening my WAV files

Post by terrypin »

Thanks, understood. No big deal. I hadn’t considered the distinction between reading and editing.