Goldwave won't install properly on second computer

GoldWave general discussions and community help
loninappleton

Goldwave won't install properly on second computer

Post by loninappleton »

There's no other way for me to describe this.

I'm getting the Raw Audio Box on my second instance of Goldwave on my small
homenet.

No problem exists on computer one with 6.31 or any other edition.
I am a license user of the software and put in all my data.

But the second computer installation always gives the Raw data box for, example on an
mkv audio and video. Normally Gw will separate the audio needed on computer
one and save to a wave file. I've done this conversion often but on the second computer
accepting the message as raw audio does not show a file to convert. Graphic just shows solid color.

What error should I be looking for on this? A dll or other difference from installation
on computer one?
DougDbug

Re: Goldwave won't install properly on second computer

Post by DougDbug »

for, example on an
mkv audio and video.
I don't know exactly but it has something to do with the CODECs installed on your computer. By default GoldWave doesn't support that many formats. I don't know if you can just install a "CODEC Pack"...

You can try TAudioConverter or XMedia Recode to extract the audio and convert to WAV.

Audacity with the optional FFmpeg Import/Export ibrary can also open "almost anything".
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

These are good tips. Thanks. Some programs these days say they have or to avoid extra codec
packs. But I overlooked this possibility.

I'll report back if it works.
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

DougDbug wrote:
for, example on an
mkv audio and video.
I don't know exactly but it has something to do with the CODECs installed on your computer. By default GoldWave doesn't support that many formats. I don't know if you can just install a "CODEC Pack"...

You can try TAudioConverter or XMedia Recode to extract the audio and convert to WAV.

Audacity with the optional FFmpeg Import/Export ibrary can also open "almost anything".

I just read this a bit more carefully. Perhaps I need to fix my Audacity on this install as well
since a similar error happened but just on this newer setup.
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

I tried a few things both on Audacity and Gw. I did the FFMpeg and LAME 3.99.3 install.

I got the KLite Mega codec pack since encoders for video are supposed to be in there.

Neither worked for the problem at hand. All I got if/when the mkv was accepted was a wall of
static on audacit and wall of garbled static on Gw. I know from the past that all this
is too complicated and things I've never had to do for these programs.

If demuxing an mkv is the problem I don't recall encountering it before-- just drag and drop.
But I might have overlooked something. What I have to do is see if Gw just loads some audio.

I think the Klite was supposed to read AAC but here again I never had such roadblocks.
I have one system that works fine on everything. I just don't know what's
different. Win 7 is the same on both. Nothing much else-- cpu hardware etc should matter.

That's my update. I may just have to settle for what works.

I'll report back any other findings.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I don't think MKV files are supported by Windows without special decoders. Have you tried installing the DirectShow MKV decoder? You can find details here.
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

I have another thing to explore which may be a factor.

But on a direct AAC (and these terms I'm not well aquanted with,) on the
old install all this is drag and drop. Never had to think about it. And I've done
none of the things mentioned. KLite or something was unproductive and I
removed it completely with Revo Uninstaller.

If Handbrake is used as a conversion tool to make mkv and MP3 is an option for audio
I have have to go to that. But I never did it before.

I'll check the link given above.
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

I was back on this for a bit today. Some of my video audio content will demux fine in Goldwave.
I can mark this solved since I believe the file being scanned by Goldwave -- the audio portion --
cannot be read once certain audio treatments are done, then converted to MP3 and reassembled
with the video.

I think I've mentioned the use of Levelator 2 from the Conversations Network earlier in other
threads. There's also you tubes on it. But that peculiar collection of techniques is not meant to be
altered or reversed. apparently. It does what the name implies: brings everything
to a moderate level.

Years ago I brought the problem to Goldwave forum. No need to go into that, I've saved
it to print files if needed.

Is there a way to mark the thread solved as some other places like sevenforums do?
loninappleton

Post by loninappleton »

A solution, or lack of one has worked. The problem was bad blocks on a hard drive which, no matter what the install, I believe had an error in corrupt files in Windows 7.

I went to a backup drive and just using that as the main. The HD bad block problem means
"Danger will Robinson! Buy New, Buy New!." No solution for it since it is in the protected operating system area.