Mono recording, downmix resp.

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Dietegen

Mono recording, downmix resp.

Post by Dietegen »

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and hopefully the day may come when I may contribute answers instead of newbie questions ... :)

I find it difficult to obtain a mono "mix" that is displayed as one waveform. As far as I can see, "mono" in GW means "stereo with identical waveforms" - with both - identical - channels being displayed; which I find a waste of vertical space: If there was but one (the 'mono') channel displayed, there would be more space in the y-axis, allowing for better solution level-wise.

In short, I am looking for one-channel downmix diplayed as one waveform, with playback on both speakers.
Is there such thing in GW?

D
Win7 ult 64
i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, VIA Sound on-board
SSD 256 SSD 256 SSD 128
DougDbug

Re: Mono recording, downmix resp.

Post by DougDbug »

It works for me...

I opened a stereo file then saved-as WAV with the Attributes 'PCM sighed 16-bit, Mono'.

After saving it asks me if I want to update the sound window, and when I click 'Yes' I get a single waveform.

If I re-open the true-mono file, I get the same thing.

...CDs are always 2-channels, so a mono CD will rip to a "stereo" WAV file and sometimes you'll find mono MP3s encoded as "stereo".
Dietegen

Post by Dietegen »

DougDbug wrote:It works for me...
Meanwhile ... for me, too.
But I don't really know how I arrived there ... ;-)

BTW I find the level tuning (REC mode without recording started) a bit difficult and anti-intuitive, since in fact there doesn't seem to be such thing. I mean: I can't monitor (and adjust) REC-Level before actually recording.

EDIT
Yes, with Mic-Recordings you can tune Rec level in 'Control Properties' | 'Device' | Test - - - which I find sort of involved.
When it comes to Recording from "Line", Loop Device, (e.g. sound from YouTube), no Rec level tuning is possible, - as far as I see it.
Win7 ult 64
SSD 256 SSD 256 SSD 128
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Try F11to open Control Properties.
Select Record.
Below Recording Options Select Monitor input on visuals.
Dietegen

Post by Dietegen »

@donrandall

Well, that's at least something; half the rent.
For tuning rec level I still have to go to Control Properties | Device | Record | Test.
Win7 ult 64
SSD 256 SSD 256 SSD 128
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

My VU meter show sound whether I'm recording or not. If there is a source providing sound, My VU meter shows it and I adjust accordingly before I start recording. I don't even have a sound window open, but my VU meter is showing the sound I have feeding right now.

F11 to open Control Properties, Record Tab, I have selected the following:
Monitor input on visuals
Set finish marker at stop
Show settings window

Open the Volume tab and next to Volume device, make sure you have selected the proper input.

Open the Device tab, make sure you have designated the proper Playback and Record devices.
You can open the Configure box and select from Playback and Record devices detected. You might have to choose one and then another to see if one is the one you need. Right click on whichever you wish to enable or disable.

Open the System tab, select either Direct Sound or Core Audio/WASAPI... if one doesn't work, try the other.
Dietegen

Post by Dietegen »

donrandall wrote:My VU meter show sound whether I'm recording or not.

So does mine.
If there is a source providing sound, My VU meter shows it
So far, so good .... BUT
and I adjust accordingly before I start recording.
How do you do this? I can't see any control there.
The only way to achieve this is, as I wrote, Control Properties | Device | Record | Test
F11 to open Control Properties, Record Tab, I have selected the following:
Monitor input on visuals
Set finish marker at stop
Show settings window
same here
Open the Volume tab
what "volume tab"? Where?
and next to Volume device, make sure you have selected the proper input.
Do you mean "Volume" in "Effects"?? (I guess no)
BTW adjusting ("tuning") rec level is possible with Mic input only. Recording device "LOOPBACK Speaker (VIA HD Audio) [0556]" can't be tuned at all.
Win7 ult 64
SSD 256 SSD 256 SSD 128
Dietegen

Post by Dietegen »

As far as the mic rec level tuning is concerned, I can do it by means of the proprietary VIA control panel. Except for that it has no "always on top"-option, it works fairly well, so that I don't really miss a rec level tuning within GoldWave.
As for the "LOOPBACK" recording (e.g. from network sources like YouTube), the volume control of the video frame acts as rec level control. But this is marginal, since the cases of "serious" recording directly from those sources are likely to be scarce.
Win7 ult 64
SSD 256 SSD 256 SSD 128
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

>>what "volume tab"? Where?

:: When I punch up F11, Control Properties opens. I then show Play, Record, Volume, Visual, Device and System tabs.
When you select the Volume tab you should get a pop up window. Find Volume Device, look for the v at the right edge of the gray field. You should have the option of selecting whatever is showing... your sound card should be there. I use and outboard sound card which plugs in via USB, and that is where mine shows up.

Once you have selected your sound card, you should be able to find a slider just below which allows you to adjust volume.

I can also look down near the lower right hand corner of my monitor and see what looks like a speaker. If I left click on the pictogram it it opens a window that offers a slider by way of which I can raise or lower volume.

If I right click, I can choose from six different things. Try Open Volume Mixer. You should see some options, Line, System Sounds, Goldwave, (mine also show Mozilla Firefox). Make sure Line is adjusted properly (if that is how you are set up) and make sure Goldwave is properly adjusted. I keep Goldwave at the top (100%). If I were using line, I might use 100% there too... or back it down a bit if that was too hot.

Let us know if you have any luck. If I can think of something else, I'll pass it along.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

The Volume tab doesn't appear if you are using the "Core Audio/WASAPI" option on the System tab. In that case the volume control is on the Device tab where you select the recording device.