id3 track field is erased for WAV format

GoldWave general discussions and community help

id3 track field is erased for WAV format

Postby Michael REMY » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:16 am

hi,
i use the 6.31 release.
i notice that every time i edit a WAV file (i created from a CD convert using DBpowerAMP), goldwave erases the field TRACK info! only that field, the other fields from the id3 tag remain well !

strange bug !
it does not append with FLAC format.

have a good day
Michael REMY

Re: id3 track field is erased for WAV format

Postby DewDude420 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:31 am

WAV does not have a standard method of storing id3 tag information. Some programs implement some form of tagging for wav, but with no standard results vary.

It is not a bug.
DewDude420

Postby GoldWave Inc. » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 am

Try using File | Information in GoldWave to see if the track is there. If not, try entering the track and save the file to see if it is retained. DBpowerAMP may be storing the information differently. As DewDude420 mentioned, the Wave format is limited in terms of metadata.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Postby Michael REMY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 pm

GoldWave Inc. wrote:Try using File | Information in GoldWave to see if the track is there. If not, try entering the track and save the file to see if it is retained. DBpowerAMP may be storing the information differently. As DewDude420 mentioned, the Wave format is limited in terms of metadata.

goldwave did not see the track number whereas it is really here (when i convert the wav to flac/mp3 with another tool, the track remains).

i tried to enter a number and save, then goldwave kept it.

i tried to read the infos with VLC, and vlc successed to read thetrack number from the same WAV file.
Mp3tag manages to read it too.

So , the problem is that goldwave does not manager to read where the track infos is store in the "mp3 tag" produced by DBpowerAMP .

best regards
Michael REMY

Postby DewDude420 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:49 am

From dbpoweramp's documentation:

Wave files can store limited (choice of fields) ID Tags in a Wave LIST chunk, or a full range id ID Tags in an 'id3 ' chunk (which is an id3v2 tag). By default both types of tags are written for maximum compatibility. Not all programs can read these chunks.

Also...you have to configure what tags to write:

dBpoweramp Configuration offers advanced options for this codec (dBpoweramp Control Center >> Audio Codecs 'List / Options'):
Wave ID Tagging

This section allows for configuration of LIST tags, to set optimum compatibility with decoding program. Padding can be used so that when ID Tags are edited the whole file does not need rewriting.
DewDude420

Postby Michael REMY » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm

DewDude420 wrote:From dbpoweramp's documentation:

Wave files can store limited (choice of fields) ID Tags in a Wave LIST chunk, or a full range id ID Tags in an 'id3 ' chunk (which is an id3v2 tag). By default both types of tags are written for maximum compatibility. Not all programs can read these chunks.

Also...you have to configure what tags to write:

dBpoweramp Configuration offers advanced options for this codec (dBpoweramp Control Center >> Audio Codecs 'List / Options'):
Wave ID Tagging

This section allows for configuration of LIST tags, to set optimum compatibility with decoding program. Padding can be used so that when ID Tags are edited the whole file does not need rewriting.

my question is mainly why goldwave does not manage to read the track info in the WAVE whereas VLC and even the old winamp can do it.
Michael REMY

Postby DewDude420 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am

Look....this was explained.

There is no standard for tagging WAV. Either Goldwave doesn't support whatever dbpoweramp is writing in to the file....or dbpoweramp isn't writing tags at all.

What your other programs do don't matter.
DewDude420

Postby GoldWave Inc. » Thu May 03, 2018 7:50 pm

The original Wave specification did not provide a chunk for a track number. GoldWave stores the track in an 'itrk' chunk. It uses lowercase letters because non-standard chunks must use lowercase according to the specification. I suspect that the other programs may be using uppercase, which would not be correct.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Return to GoldWave General