Apply Affects Above of Specified Volume Level?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
petenoak

Apply Affects Above of Specified Volume Level?

Post by petenoak »

I couldn't find if anybody has asked this question.

Is it possible to apply an affect, specifically EQ, only to a passage above a certain volume level?

I have a Classical Music recording, actually off youtube, which dates from 1948. The frequency spectrum is a little bright but in the loudest passages it seems to get really thin and strident. I tried applying an EQ to the entire file but the loudest passages still sound to bright/thin. There's something happening where once the wave form gets above a certain db level the music suddenly gets even brighter. Therefore, if I EQ everything to make those passages listenable, everything below that volume level will sound a little too muffled.

I wish there was some way to put a "gate" around the waveform and apply an treble reduction just to everything louder.

Can anybody suggest a way for Goldwave to do this? Otherwise, I'll have to go through the entire piece, 37', and select each loud passage manually and apply a stronger EQ there.

pete in oakland, calif.
DougDbug

Re: Apply Affects Above of Specified Volume Level?

Post by DougDbug »

There is something called Dynamic Equalization which might do what you're looking for.

I've never tried anything like that and I'm not sure if you can find a dynamic EQ plug-in that works with GoldWave.
petenoak

Re: Apply Affects Above of Specified Volume Level?

Post by petenoak »

DougDbug wrote:There is something called Dynamic Equalization which might do what you're looking for.

I've never tried anything like that and I'm not sure if you can find a dynamic EQ plug-in that works with GoldWave.
Thank you, DougDbug, for this. You put me on the right track!

I did a search and came up with some product that has this "Dynamic Eq" capability but it cost over $100. Then I stumbled on something that is a "de-esser", i.e. a sibilant controller for Audacity. Since they're both free products I gave it a try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkcDL7NkZg

I'd prefer to have more control of parameters, like at what volume level it kicks in, and at what frequency, etc. but for my purposes this time, it does the job on an old, 1948 Brahms Violin Concerto recording with papery thin high strings. Now it's more than listenable.

But I still prefer Goldwave in general because I'm so much more comfortable in using it.

pete