Recording from a cassette tape - will GW separate the tracks

GoldWave general discussions and community help
creolejazz

Recording from a cassette tape - will GW separate the tracks

Post by creolejazz »

I'm going to record from cassette to my computer via USB cable. Can GW record the tape, sense the space (silence) between tracks, and create a separate file for each track? If so, how? Or do I have to record the whole tape, then split the file into separate files, one for each track? Can't find it in the help file. Thanks.

Dave
DougDbug

Re: Recording from a cassette tape - will GW separate the tr

Post by DougDbug »

I never use chain/batch operations so I don't can't help you with automating it, but there is File -> Find -> Silence.

But, I just do it manually. It's not too hard to see the gaps between songs in the waveform and you usually know about how long each song is so it just takes a quick listen. And, I may want to chop-out remaining silence at the beginning or end of the track. (Usually I cut the individual track a little long, then trim it down after I've made a separate file.)
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

Hi there, you can select "tools" then "cue points" from the drop down menu. Select whatever length of silence you need, and when you have recorded your audio file, the cue points will be inserted. Now, go back to the "cue points" menu and select "split file". There is a "Help" button there which will assist you if needed. Having said that however, if there are any silences in the music, you might find a random cue point inserted somewhere. Best for you to check between each cue point to make sure. Better still, I think that the best way is to listen to the tape as it is being recorded and to manually insert cues using a shortcut key (like F12). The best computer brain is your own :D As an aside, there are plenty of morse decoding software programs, but none are really 100% perfect. I can decode morse in my head, no trouble, even with radio interference present. So,do it manually and enjoy the music!
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

If you have a minimum amount of silence between tracks, the auto-cue feature will mark all of these for you as CUE points. You can then adjust them if needed, delete false triggers, and have Goldwave split the track based on cue points. You can also export the CUE file for use in other software.