MP3 loaded in GoldWave longer than that opened in a player

GoldWave general discussions and community help
budi

MP3 loaded in GoldWave longer than that opened in a player

Post by budi »

Why is there a mp3 file loaded into GoldWave which's longer than that if it is opened in any audio player application (e.g. MusicBee)

For example, one mp3 file I found has 1h 21m length in the player but it's 2h 1m length in Goldwave.. it's quite confounding why there is difference of 40 minutes longer in Goldwave.
Any sincere help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Last edited by budi on Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougDbug

Re: MP3 loaded in GoldWave longer than that opened in a play

Post by DougDbug »

"Where" is the extra time? Does it play slow? Is there silence at the beginning or the end?

Or... Is the true playing-time 2:01 and the other players are showing the wrong length? That can happen with VBR (variable bit rate) MP3s if there's something wrong with the VBR header.
budi

Post by budi »

The below attachment is 1/8th of what I said on that case
https://mega.nz/#!uAA0wawK!RDw0FshZKsM6 ... Srz9x2jMXY

it's 10 m 12.3 s in any player
loaded to 15 m 14 s in GW

move back to be 8 times of it would be the full file I said above.

Would anyone inspect and analyse it what would explain this?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I'm pretty sure your MP3 file is corrupted. I have to sign-off for now but I'll be back later with more information...

The time shown in GoldWave is probably correct because GoldWave decompresses the whole MP3 and then figures-out the length.

If you re-save from GoldWave it will create a new MP3 and hopefully that new MP3 will be OK.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

15 Minutes is correct. I played the file in Windows Media Player and showed a playing time of 10 minutes but it took 15 minutes to finish.

MP3 Diags found several problems. I wasn't able to repair it with MP3 Diags, but I've only used that program a few times and I don't really know how to use it.

I saved the file from GoldWave and Window Media Player the new file shows the correct time of 15 minutes.
DewDude420

Post by DewDude420 »

This file is completely screwed up.

For starters, it appears to have been split from a larger mp3 file based on the mp3split signature. MP3Split must have malformed everything. No...I take that back. This is two entirely different encodes from different encoders with different bitrates that were improperly mashed together.

This file technically contains TWO mpeg streams, a 5 second 192kbps stream and a 15 minute 8 second stream at 128kbps. This is NOT normal. A file should only have a single stream.

The LAME header is set for 192kbps; it also has an XING header reporting 211 frames.

The 192 kbps stream is 211 frames.

The 128kbps stream is 34768.

There's no real standard way of storing the length of an mp3 in it's header like WAV or other formats; the software is supposed to figure that out. The only real way to know is to decode the entire file. I think your software is seeing around 35000 frames...but it's calculating the length based on the 192kbps of the LAME header and not the 128kbps that the stream actually is.

I had MP3Diags work on the file..it cleared a bunch of errors at the expense of making this a 5 second file. I redownloaded it, and Foobar still only sees the first 5 seconds.

I think someone combined this mp3 from two different mp3's and just screwed the entire thing up.

So, basically...you have a 192kbps and 128kbps stream mixed, and being different encodes they clash. The header information has an incorrect bitrate, so if the program DOES figure out how many frames there are...it will likely calculate the length based on this 192kbps. This is why your length is off in some programs. When I did get a player that did it, I noticed the birate started at 192...then slowly lowered as it played on.
budi

Post by budi »

Exactly
The file actually the result of merged multi MP3 files done by MP3wrap.exe

MP3wrap has screwed the header up... sorry just found it out, thanks so much !