Make play position line dragging more relaxed

GoldWave general discussions and community help
mattad

Make play position line dragging more relaxed

Post by mattad »

Assume I am currently playing a song.
The vertical line with the green arrow moves more or less fast in the waveform from left to right.

Now I want to replay a certain interval in the waveform.
Therefore I do NOT stop playing but just drag the vertical line to a position left of it.

This works fine when the moving is slow.
However when its moving fast(er) its becoming more and more difficult to match the vertical line.
It happens often that I define an unwanted selection instead of grabbing the play position.

It seems to me that the sensitive band/area left and right of the vertical line is only a few pixels wide.

How can I tell GW to use a snap area of lets say 30 pixels?

How can I tell GW to NEVER (re-define) a (new) selection while playing?
2leftfeet

Re: Make play position line dragging more relaxed

Post by 2leftfeet »

While playing the music, hit the left hand bracket, [ Just before the section you want to play and when you get to the end of it, hit the right hand bracket, ]. All this is in the help file which comes with Goldwave. You can easily expand the selection and make precise adjustments to the selection. Only takes a few seconds to do. You can also drop cue points (F12) at the start and end and select the track between these two cuepoints that way as well. Useful if you want to refer to the places later.
Remember that you can customise any keystrokes using the keystroke editor. "Options" and "Keyboard".
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can click on the time axis below the waveform to start playback anywhere without accidentally changing the selection. Much easier than trying to grab a moving target.

Or you can right-click on the waveform and choose "Play From Here".
mattad

Post by mattad »

Ok.
Is there a way to forbid Selection interval re-definition while playing?
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

I'm afraid not. You'd need to avoid clicking on the waveform or use Edit | Selection | Previous to reset the selection back to what it was.