another expression evaluator question

GoldWave general discussions and community help
raygrote

another expression evaluator question

Post by raygrote »

Hi everyone,
So the other day I was playing with expression evaluator and reading the Gold Wave manual on this tool, and discovered that the expression wave(n*2) pitches the open file up an octave. But wave(n*0.5) or wave(n/2) just produces a click and doesn't pitch it down like I expected. But if I create a new untitled file, and use wave1(n*0.5) it will pitch the previously open file down and place the result in my untitled file. If I try that last expression without the untitled file, I still get a click. In other words, I have to store the result in an untitled file for it to work.

Granted, using Gold Wave's pitch effect sounds far better than this, so this is just for curiosity's sake, but I do like the gritty artifacts :D. So I want to know what's going on, since this tool is still a mystery to me. Any ideas?
Thanks!
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Re: another expression evaluator question

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

In the first case you have:

Code: Select all

wave[0] = wave[0]
wave[1] = wave[2]
wave[2] = wave[4]
wave[3] = wave[6]
In the second case you have:

Code: Select all

wave[0] = wave[0]
wave[1] = wave[0]      value for index 1 is replaced here!
wave[2] = wave[1]      value for wave[1] was set to wave[0]
wave[3] = wave[1]
In the second case note how the value of wave[1] is replaced before it can be used in next iteration. The value of wave[0] gets used for the entire file.

The solution is to use a new file to store the result so that none of the values are overwritten.