[SOLVED] Recording maxes out at half volume

GoldWave general discussions and community help
postiffm

[SOLVED] Recording maxes out at half volume

Post by postiffm »

Pardon me, please, because I don't quite know how to ask this question. For our church sermon recording, the record source is a Shure wireless lav plugged on one of the input channels on a MixWizard board. We have an aux output from the MixWizard to a line-in on a Dell desktop. The audio comes through OK and we have recorded like this for some time. We record everything in mono.

BUT...the record volume is not "full range." Looking at the waveform window, which ranges from +1.0 to -1.0, our recordings only go from about +0.5 to -0.5. Why?

And when the waveform is near the upper and lower limits of 0.5/-0.5, as if they were actually 1.0/-1.0, there is distortion in the sound. We try our best to keep the record level out of the red while recording and are very successful at that. I don't sense any distortion in the house speakers during the recording. During playback, the playback level does not approach red--not even close.

We used to record at "full range" but something has happened over the years of changing audio and computer equipment.

Thank you.
Last edited by postiffm on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougDbug

Re: Recording maxes out at half volume

Post by DougDbug »

You've only got a signal into the left or right channel of the soundcard, right?

The "problem" is you're using one input of a stereo interface and recording in mono. It's "leaving room" for the other channel to be mixed-in.

With your setup the easiest solution would be some different adapters/cables to "split" the signal, sending it into both channels of the soundcard.
postiffm

Post by postiffm »

Mixer provides the aux output in 1/4" TRS format.

I had a cable that was 1/4 TS (not TRS) on one end and 1/8" TS on the other that went into the computer line in.

So, I changed it out to a 1/4" TRS to 1/8" TRS cable with no difference in the recording. Still is "half strength."
postiffm

Post by postiffm »

Am I correct that you are suggesting I change out my cables to this:

Mixer to
1/4 inch TRS (male) to Dual 1/4 inch TRSF (female) Y Cable
to
Dual 6.35mm 1/4" TS (male) Mono to 3.5mm 1/8" TRS

I found these on Amazon. I don't really understand why the first cable goes to TRS--should only need to be TS, right? So would this work instead:

Mixer to
1/4 inch TRS (male) to Dual 1/4 inch TS (male) Insert Cable
to
Dual 1/4 inch TS Female Y To 1/8 inch 3.5mm TRS Male

Thanks again.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Typically 1/4-inch TRS outputs are balanced and that could make things worse if you connect (directly) to a 3.5mm TRS, because the smaller TRS input to the soundcard is stereo and you'll get left & right out-of-phase. You can generally plug-in a TS plug (as long as it's not a stereo headphone output).

It's probably impossible to find the exact adapter cable you need, so you'll have to mix-and-match (or solder-up something yourself).

You might want to start with something like this to split-out left & right and this to connect them together.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

Looks like your mixer has an onboard USB soundcard. If it has, plug it into the laptop USB port and in the Goldwave "F11" drop down menu and then in the "RECORD" section, select the "usb audio codec" option. You should be able to use this to play and record. When you want to do your recording, click on "New" and "number of channels" MONO. Choose a file length long enough to record your service (plus some). Click OK. You can save this setting for future use. Check the levels and away you go! You can also select the audio out so as to play into your mixer as well. choose "usb audio codec" in the "PLAY "section of the "F11" drop down menu. Works for me 100% with my Samson desk. I never trust those weak laptop audio sockets anyway. Much better sound quality using an external sound card like the one in your mixer.
postiffm

Post by postiffm »

DougDbug, thanks a million. I'm lost on the signal side of this stuff, so I greatly appreciate your help.

2leftfeet, that would be awesome...but I have the MixWizard WZ3. It is the WZ4 that has the USB option.

And I agree about not trusting computer audio sockets. My new Dell desktop has a line-in, but it is poorly built, and when you unplug the cable, the computer loses its mind and the port disappears entirely from the F11 window in Goldwave. Have to reboot to get it back.
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

You can purchase external usb sound cards at a reasonable price, a local music dealer has them in stock rather than going the Hi Fi path and spending a fortune! The Tigertronics signal link ham radio device can be modified to do what you want, but only if you are a tech geek and are really stuck. I modified one for playback only. The other possibility is to build one from a kitset which I did a few years back, stereo line or mike in and out, that was before I bought my Samson desk.
postiffm

Post by postiffm »

The cable change did the trick. Here are the two parts that I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D048XC/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0112Y1SEO/