Volume Equalization

GoldWave general discussions and community help
JackyTang

Volume Equalization

Post by JackyTang »

I have 10 songs (APE, FLAC) that have very different volume, is it possible to use Goldwave to automatically equalize all their volume to be same avergae dB appointed by me? Thanks.
Tristan

Re: Volume Equalization

Post by Tristan »

Try the demo and find out.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

I don't know if GoldWave supports APE. If GoldWave can't open it, you'll have to convert to WAV or FLAC, then back. I assume you have the software tools to do that? Of course, APE is lossless so there's no harm in doing that, it's just extra work.

Run Maximize Volume on all of the tracks. (This is also known as "Normalization".)

Then if they don't sound equally loud, choose the quietest one as your reference.

The best solution is usually to adjust the others down by ear (using Change Volume).

Or, you can run Run tools -> Amplitude Statistics on your reference track and make note of it's "Loudness".

Then run Amplitude Statistics on the other tracks one at a time and Change Volume down by the dB difference to make them match your reference.

P.S.
There are also tools such as ReplayGain, Sound Check (for Apple), MP3Gain, and WaveGain. These are intended to volume-match your entire music library and for that reason they use a relatively-low reference volume and they tend to lower the volume of most files.

ReplayGain and Sound Check adjust the volume at playback time, so they don't "touch" the actual audio data, but they require compatible player software.

MP3Gain and WaveGain change the actual audio data so they are compatible with everything.

P.P.S.
GoldWave also has a Match Volume effect but it uses a less sophisticated "average" dB measurement and you still have to be careful to avoid clipping so it's still best to Maximize first and then use the quietest sounding file as your reference and adjust the others down.
JackyTang

Post by JackyTang »

Tristan wrote:Try the demo and find out.
Thanks, I found it in the manual.
JackyTang

Post by JackyTang »

DougDbug wrote:I don't know if GoldWave supports APE. If GoldWave can't open it, you'll have to convert to WAV or FLAC, then back. I assume you have the software tools to do that? Of course, APE is lossless so there's no harm in doing that, it's just extra work.

Run Maximize Volume on all of the tracks. (This is also known as "Normalization".)

Then if they don't sound equally loud, choose the quietest one as your reference.

The best solution is usually to adjust the others down by ear (using Change Volume).

Or, you can run Run tools -> Amplitude Statistics on your reference track and make note of it's "Loudness".

Then run Amplitude Statistics on the other tracks one at a time and Change Volume down by the dB difference to make them match your reference.

Thanks for your rich advice, I make it done. :D
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

Recent versions of GoldWave have a Volume | Loudness effect, which works better than the Match Volume effect. You can use that with Batch Processing to adjust all files to a similar volume level. You can find details about the Loudness effect in the help.