search for audio in a larger file

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Tonk

search for audio in a larger file

Post by Tonk »

Hello, hope you can help and apologies if this has already been answered.

I have a large audio file and several smaller audio files, some of which I suspect are taken from the larger file.

Is it possible to have GoldWave search the larger file and indicate where the smaller files appear in the main file?

Basically, it's a long musical piece and I want to delete the small files if they are already present in the longer one.

I can do this by ear but it would be nice if there was a search facility that allowed it.

Many thanks.
Tristan

Re: search for audio in a larger file

Post by Tristan »

I've never been able to locate segments of a large file without markers, or at least without detailed knowledge of the time domain. Goldwave will put markers in automatically, and even label the individual segments, if you do file merging. But, I don't think Goldwave will automatically seek file segments, even ones defined by markers.

I think you're left doing what you want to do by ear. I have much more sophisticated editing software than Goldwave, and none of those programs will perform the task you'd like Goldwave to perform.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
2leftfeet

Post by 2leftfeet »

Probably the best way is to listen to the file and insert cue markers as you go. That way you will be sure to select the various sections correctly. You can use keyboard shortcuts to speed the audio up which will cut the time it takes to go through it. SHIFT+L will speed it up and SHIFT+K will bring it back to the correct speed and SHIFT+J will slow it down. In the past, I tried to do it automatically but it was more trouble than it was worth :cry: Do not forget to change back to the correct speed afterward. Good idea to do this with a copy of the original so you do not lose it all if you mess up. Have a happy day!
Tonk

Post by Tonk »

Thanks so much for the replies, very helpful!