Is Anyone Having Problems with Goldwave on Windows 10

GoldWave general discussions and community help
davemoore

Is Anyone Having Problems with Goldwave on Windows 10

Post by davemoore »

I use Goldwave for recording needle drops. I record the LP end to end as a single Wav, then repair scratches and chop up into individual tracks, and convert them to whatever format.

Trouble is, a few days ago I started getting messages from Goldwave when trying to open the WAV that it doesn't recognise them. Crazy, since it created them in the first place.

When it gets into that state it won't recognise any WAV file.

Closing and restarting Goldwave doesn't help. Rebooting the PC doesn't work.

I installed the latest version of Goldwave for Windows. It opened 1 WAV file then reverted to this state.

There's nothing wrong with any of the WAV files. They play perfectly in Foobar2000

Does anyone have any clue?
Tristan

Re: Is Anyone Having Problems with Goldwave on Windows 10

Post by Tristan »

It's been a long time since I recorded anything with GoldWave. But I'm using the most recent version of GoldWave on Windows 10, and it opens and processes every wav file I throw at it.

Sometimes I do conversions to mp3, but it doesn't affect the performance of the original wav file on GoldWave afterwards.
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
DougDbug

Re: Is Anyone Having Problems with Goldwave on Windows 10

Post by DougDbug »

I've got GoldWave on 4 Windows 10 computers. No problems...

Weird... WAV files are usually pretty foolproof. It's just a short header followed by bytes of audio data. And I assume WAV file handling (reading the header to get the sample rate & bit-depth, etc.) is done with Microsoft-supplied DLLs, so that ought to work...

There can be an issue with WAV files greater than 4GB, or in some cases 2GB. The original spec was 2GB maximum and there is a 32-bit file-size field in the header and that makes a 4GB limit. Sometimes you can make a bigger file, but the header will be wrong and you can get problems such as only part of the file opening/playing. Normally an album won't create such a large file but if you are using high-resolution audio you could be exceeding the limits.

Technically a WAV file can be a container for compressed audio which could require a 3rd-party CODEC to open. But, I've never seen a WAV file that wasn't regular uncompressed PCM and if you made the WAVs yourself with GoldWave you've got standard uncompressed WAVs.
It opened 1 WAV file then reverted to this state.
Maybe try a few more older known-good files. It could be one or more newer WAVs that are crashing GoldWave.

If the problem is related to certain files (and if it's not simply file size) check the files with MediaInfo to see if it shows anything "wrong" or maybe you can find the difference between good & bad files.
There's nothing wrong with any of the WAV files. They play perfectly in Foobar2000
That doesn't "prove" they are valid WAV files. ;)