Peak-to-loudness measurement

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Mugwood

Peak-to-loudness measurement

Post by Mugwood »

Thanks for adding in the new PLR measurement to the Amplitude Stats, it's really useful!

If I could make another suggestion - would it be possible to add a "combined" PLR measurement for the overall stereo mix, as you do for Loudness and Loudness Range? This is the most meaningful statistic I think.

Thanks as always!
DougDbug

Re: Peak-to-loudness measurement

Post by DougDbug »

FYI - This is mostly a user-to-user forum so you might have to wait awhile for an answer here. You can contact Chris (GoldWave's developer) via this form.
Thanks for adding in the new PLR measurement to the Amplitude Stats, it's really useful!
I REALLY appreciate the LUFS and loudness range measurements! And, it's nice to be able to get the peaks without running (and then optionally canceling) Maximize.

This is the most meaningful statistic I think.
Personally, I wouldn't have much use for it. If you normalize (maximize) it's equal to the loudness and otherwise it's a simple calculation.
Mugwood

Re: Peak-to-loudness measurement

Post by Mugwood »

Thanks for the reply - I thought I would give a Chris a break from emailing him directly ;) Also an opportunity to share the ideas with the community too ... I have been a long-time lurker, so now coming out of the shadows!

It's true that PLR is usually close to LUFS measurements, but with some audio (typically un-mastered, non-limited music) the PLR can be quite different to the LUFS measurement, especially across longer sections of audio. For my purposes it's nice to get a snapshot view of the pre- and post-mastering levels - the other tools only work in realtime so I have to play entire tracks through to measure them, the great advantage of the GW tool is it's almost instant!

This can be a helpful additional tool when thinking about technical targets e.g. getting the best micro-dynamics vs macro-dynamics for loudness normalised streaming platforms and so on.