Goldwave 6.41 Unlicensed version

GoldWave general discussions and community help
Troy

Goldwave 6.41 Unlicensed version

Post by Troy »

Hi
A friend of mine and I are trying out goldwave 6.41 to do some audio work. The audio file is 6 channel ac3.
He's running Windows 10 64 bit. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.
When my friend opens the file it loads showing all 6 channels.
When I open same file it loads showing 2 channels?
Other than OS's being different hardware is the same.

Any help would much appreciated, thanks.
DougDbug

Re: Goldwave 6.41 Unlicensed version

Post by DougDbug »

I'm pretty sure AC3 support is NOT built-into GoldWave and I don't think it's built-into Windows either so if it opens at all it's using some unknown 3rd-part party CODEC.

I hate to mention this on the GoldWave forum, but... Audacity with the optional FFmpeg import/export library can handle most audio formats.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Thanks for your input DougDbug but you are totally incorrect.
AC-3 has been around for several decades: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital
AC-3 6 channel/Dolby Digital 5.1, AC-3 codec is a standard codec in the audio industry.

Anyway back to my problem with OS Windows 7 64 bit using Goldwave 6.41 loading ac3 6 channel audio file
only shows 2 channels instead of the 6 channels.
In Options/Plug-in/File/GoldWave*...(GoldWave File Format Plug-in) shows FFmpeg/Libav decoders can be added.
If someone can please tell me what versions of FFmpeg/Libav decoders are compatible with Goldwave 6.41
I believe this will solve my problem and whether I need 64 bit, 32 bit or both, thanks.
DougDbug

Post by DougDbug »

Thanks for your input DougDbug but you are totally incorrect.
AC3 is standard on DVDs & Blu-Ray but its not supported by Windows Media Player and it's not mentioned at all in the GoldWave FAQ.
If someone can please tell me what versions of FFmpeg/Libav decoders are compatible with Goldwave 6.41
I'd like to know how to use FFmpeg (or other CODECs) with GoldWave too! But, It's not THAT important to me because I have several other audio/video tools and I only use AC3 for DVDs...
Troy

Post by Troy »

Here's the bottom line in all of this.
I made my post in order to resolve a problem via GoldWave support.
You have been no help at all, so I would appreciate if you would just move on!
Thanks
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

You can use the contact form for GoldWave support. We do our best to reply to all email, even from unlicensed users.

DougDbug is correct that Windows 7 does not include full AC3 decoders. They were added in Windows 8 and improved in Windows 10 for better multichannel support.

Third-party AC3 decoders are available for Windows 7, but due to the limitations in Windows 7, GoldWave is not able to get the multichannel audio from the AC3 file.

The easiest way to install ffmpeg would be to install VideoMeld and use the "Download" button under Options | Configure VideoMeld. Make note of the install folder for GoldWave to use.