Abnormal Termination?

GoldWave general discussions and community help
donrandall

Abnormal Termination?

Post by donrandall »

With V 6.47 I cannot enter my license information. I did that successfully the first time I loaded 6.47 but when I tried to open a new window in which to record, I got a pop up box informing me of an Abnormal Termination.

I loaded up an earlier version and have been able to use that just fine. But V 6.47 does not wanna play with me. If I whine, beg, plead and perhaps even snivel a bit... can I get me some help?
Tristan

Re: Abnormal Termination?

Post by Tristan »

Are you using Windows 10?
I don't want to read the manual either, but, then, it isn't my problem, is it?
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Yes. I've been using Windows 10 since it first became available.

I had trouble with Windows 10 after an update several months ago in which they decided we should always leave the Windows mic on... when previously, for a program like Goldwave to work, we had to make sure the Windows mic was turned off. That one drove me nuts for a few days.
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

donrandall wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 pm
With V 6.47 I cannot enter my license information. I did that successfully the first time I loaded 6.47 but when I tried to open a new window in which to record, I got a pop up box informing me of an Abnormal Termination.
I've never had this problem before, but I've heard of people having problems from Windows updates screwing things up, one way or another. I guess Chris will have to chime in.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I've used Goldwave for many years now and, so far, have managed to not be plagued by problems that others have experienced. The Windows 10 update of months ago that I mentioned was the first... and obviously a Windows induced problem.

*** I paused after writing the above and uninstalled Goldwave 6.47, then reinstalled and now... It Is Working As It Should! ***

Alfred Einstein told us that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

That's why he should have listened to to his brother (Albert) who knew better.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I'm baaaaack...

It worked for a few minutes. One brief recording. And now it is back to popping up a window that says "Abnormal Program Termination"... and refusing to work properly.

And I was so happy...
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I could offer some more ideas, but I'm afraid of making things worse.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Ha Hah... Thanks.

I'm glad I save the download links. I uninstalled 6.47 and replaced it with 6.41 and everything is working properly now.

That suggests to me that the problem is not with Windows 10 or my computer.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

No other reports of this kind of a problem have come in so far. You could try disabling audio plug-ins and the audio compression manager. You'd use "GoldWave Setup" from the Windows 10 menu to do that.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that and post the results here.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

Okay, I opened GoldWave Settings Options. Neither of those were enabled. The only option that was checked is Open All Files In The Same Instance.

I am a bit leery of changing that simply because I don't know enough to get myself out of a ditch if it turns out to be a bad move.
GoldWave Inc.
Site Admin

Post by GoldWave Inc. »

donrandall wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm
The only option that was checked is Open All Files In The Same Instance.
If "Disable file format plug-ins" and "Disable Wave Audio Compression Manager" are not not checked, then you need to check those to see if that helps.
donrandall

Post by donrandall »

I enabled Format Plug Ins and Wave Audio Compression Manager and reinstalled version 6.47 and all is well now.

Thank You! I use GoldWave a lot and greatly enjoy the wonderful product you have made available. I Thank You for offering the most user friendly product of it's kind on the market.